mistake i probably made

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by marvun22, Mar 16, 2013.

1. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    i made a post earlier about how i ordered ducks and i ordered the right amount of males and females. i had to get rid of that order because i needed some extra money for something. then i reordered and got 2 of all the breeds that are in my signature except in straight run. i am now hoping i get 2 buff females, 1 khaki campbell male and female, 1 rouen female and male, 2 pekin female, 2 blue runner female. but i am probably gonna get something the exact opposite of what i want like 2 pekin male, 1 runner male and female, 2 khaki campbell male, 1 buff male and female. or it could be worse and i get all males. how bad would that be for my 2 females and 1 male i already have.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    That could be seriously bad. Excessive males in a flock are at best a source of aggravation and can be a danger to the females.

3. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    dont be worried too badly i could probably give them away and if necessary butcher some to keep the females ok.

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    You are almost 100% guaranteed to get all males in straight run.

I ordered 5 sexed 5 SR from Metzer with my first ducks. All the SR were males. I would have recommended that you wait until you could afford the correct ratios.

5. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    i probably should stop ordering and cancelling but i canceled the order. i told my aunt (who raises ducks) about what i was ordering and what gender and she gave me some extra money because she said that straight run is generally not the right way to order things and i changed my pekins and runners to female and i got the campbells into 1 male and 1 female so that leaves buffs and rouens as straight run so i'll see what happens. i probably wont change my order again. i hope i get 3/4 females from that bunch.

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Hatcheries fill their sexed orders first. Therefore, many, many more males are leftover to fill straight run because people order more females than males. You will be lucky to get 1 female in your straight run ducklings.

So with what you have and what you order and what you are likely to get you will end up, most likely, with 7 F and 6 M which is a HORRIBLE ratio.

No offense but your title is 100% accurate. Have a plan on what you are going to do with 4 of the males. Or cancel your order until you can afford it.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  7. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    i know someone who somehow (dont ask me) ordered 10 straight run ducklings and got 10 FEMALES she said she could take at least 3 males off my hands.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by