1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mistake treating emergency?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Intrigue, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Intrigue

Intrigue New Egg

Sep 23, 2012
    Hello all,

I am in a bit of a flap after following blindly the advice on forums on matters to which I have no idea, I feel bad if I did wrong thing good if right... If only I knew..help

I have a Rhode Island Red hen at least 3yrs old. Always been happy, healthy, good layer. Past few days she been weird standing around by herself, kinda dazed looking, not eating or drinking much, colour is good, eyes reasonably bright.

I did find some lice on her so bathed to kill off (along with others and coop). I have checked vent and passage over past 24hrs but no sign of egg.

Her poop is yellow like hollandaise sauce so I thinking egg peritonitis. I have been force feeding her water and antibiotics. Only thing she will eat is copra meal (horse food, coconut meal) and only minor pickings.

So condidering this and her hot swollen belly (she bears down with pressure on abdomen)
    I thought maybe she had fluid in abdomen and bravely or stupidly tried the draining method. I inserted needle on right side drained 10mls then panicked. The fluid was not the yellow I had expected, nor the clear or green I had read about. Rather it was red :( I seriously hope it wasn't all blood but there was certainly a reasonable amount of blood in the serum.
    What the hell have I drained and have I just signed her death bill?
    Owe golly, why I do these things I don't know

2. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Sounds like you may have pierced an organ with the needle.

3. Intrigue

Intrigue New Egg

Sep 23, 2012
    Yep I believe so, now what. Stupid me.

she is alive this morning but that same fluid is coming out her mouth, and her lungs are rattling.

I can surely have only Pierced the intestine and only a small needle....any hope

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by