Mistakes you've made, things you've learnt and things you wish new before/during hatching chicks.

NorthernChick1

Songster
Jul 11, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Hi BYCM! I'm looking to gain as much knowledge as i can about hatching chicks, I'm not sure if theres a word for it but im interested in letting a broody hen do it. I dont know how to set her up or what exatcly is my role but id love to hear your stories in hopes of doing it properly and knowing what im going up against! Please if you have any pro's or cons about letting hens hatch them or going with an incubator instead please share your thoughts!!

During my first years of chicken-raising, I learned "don't candle the eggs too much" the hard way. I would prefer a reliable setting hen over any incubator for small clutches, as she transmits a slight immunity to them, she keeps the eggs turned and moisturized just right, and she cares for the chicks after they hatch so they can forage sooner- plus, it's how nature intended it to be.
Good luck with whatever you decide!

I am a newbie: I incubated a batch of eggs, and I let a first-time broody set on eggs, both early this winter. Broody is much easier! I put her (and a nest box/food/water)in a dog crate inside the coop so she could be near the flock. I let her out to stretch and poop for a couple hours a day til the chicks hatched (6 out of 7 eggs hatched!). Because it was really cold (for Texas, anyway), I didn’t let her out for long the first week so the chicks wouldn’t get cold. When our temps picked up and they were about 10 days old, I created a surround just outside the crate so they could all move a bit more. A few days after that, I let the mama take the babies out for a stroll. Everyone did great, of course. I’m sure I was WAY too cautious, but I was learning. First time they free-ranged, they stuck close to mama, and I no longer separated or worried about them. Mama even fought off other hens to clear space for them the first night they roosted with the flock! Lesson learned: nature is better than technology. Not having to monitor temps/humidity, rotate eggs to avoid hot spots (even with autoegg turner), candling, and then the brooder...ugh! I’ll never deal with a brooder in winter again. My basement was a mess with the feather dust everywhere...

Just my experience. Everyone here has great advice. Lots to read as decide what works for you. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom