Mister or Miss?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cluckcluckluke, Feb 15, 2013.

1. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

O.K I', pretty sure it's a rooster but I just wanted a second opinion.
    My White Leghorn. He is about 11- 13 Weeks Old.
    I'm pretty sure that he has got some Saddle feathers coming in a 1 Sickle Feather, The hackle feathers are really hard to see that why I want a confirmation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I wanna say roo based on comb color but leghorns start laying earlier than other breeds. I than want to say hen as the comb is not as big as it should be for a leghorn roo of this age

3. cluckcluckluke

Yeha this is why i want a second opinion, because I'm stumped. The body shape isn't really rooish neither is the comb and the legs are not that thick, But then the feathering suggests rooish.
    Also a little point. She had a fight with one of the lower class Langshans, i thought maybe he/she was trying to climb the social ladder but perhaps he/she is getting aggressive.

4. patty12

patty12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    rooster, no doubt.

5. ChickenLover603

ChickenLover603 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2013
    Looks like a roo.

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Definitely a mister. 11-13 weeks would make this bird about 3 months old. My Leghorn hens had no combs to speak of until just before they started to lay, at a little more than 5 months.
    Nikki

7. TexasLady

TexasLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    Looks roo to me.

MO the roosters get a sharp, pointy beak at the tip while I think the hens mostly keep a rounded beak (not quite so pointy). MO; others may disagree.

8. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Looks like a rooster to me...The hens usually have floppy combs that don't stand terrible straight, and they don't have ornate pointy feathers on their tails either.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I also think roo. Leghorn hens do get larger combs earlier, but I don't think they redden up this much this early. Plus, that big ol' sickle feather looks pretty boyish!

Keep us updated?

10. cluckcluckluke

Here is an update for you all.lol. He tried to mount one of the hens today, she was out of his league though, a fancy Wyandotte pullet!
    He isn't very good at it i will admit, he came up to her side and grabbed the back of her head then attempted to jump on her but just fell over and ran off in embarrassment[​IMG].

I'm not really sure what to do with him now, I can in theory have a rooster but we are good friends with our neighbors and they are not keen on a rooster cowing before at least 6:30 of a morning. Is there any way I can train him not to crow or is it an inevitable thing that will happen? He is my very first hatched and raised chick so wouldn't be to keen on giving him away.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by