1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Mister roo is getting an attitude...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redhen, Nov 18, 2008.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Hello, i have never had a roo before and dont want one now(but i cant find a good home for him)..anyways, recently he has been pecking at my legs....just me, noone else!(the little ingrate!)... and its not the curious hen pecking..its a "wanna fight?" pecking..and he kinda circles me before he does it...so, i have been just pushing him away with with my feet and once i picked him up by his feet(he got me mad!)..but..i dont want to end up having to have a WWF match with him!...what can i do?...besides make chicken soup?...thanks, wendy

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Well, if you'll take advice from a ut hum Arkie [​IMG] , take a look at my page on rooster reform. The link is in my signature. Rooster-red also has an excellent page on dealing with a difficult roo.
    If you have young children around be very cautious please.

3. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    LOL..thanks!.. i was just being silly about the inbreeding...youre awesome!..thanks for the help!, Wendy:)..

4. Flycropper

Flycropper In the Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I sold two and gave another away. I posted in Craig's List and sold two roos pretty quickly.

I gave my prettiest but meanist RIR roo (sucker drew blood on me twice - got attacked by a fox and lived to tell about it) to a man up the road who breeds and raises chickens.

I wanted him to go to a home where he could do what Roos like to do - crow and mate.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    If he's in a run walk right in and corner him, pick him up and carry him around. Do this for about a week and see if his attitude doesn't change.

6. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    thanks guys!..i will try that ASAP!..before it gets out of hand..i think right now he just testing me...thanks again guys!

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Rooster-red, it helps if you grab his wattles and make him "talk" while you're walking him around! Really puts him to shame in front of the hens! [​IMG]

(Just kidding!)

8. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:LOL..i'll save that in case the other stuff dosent work...

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I did that the other day to my alpha just for the heck of it. Oh the dirty looks I got. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: