Mister setup w/pics please

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by OHhappychicks, Jul 22, 2011.

1. OHhappychicks

OHhappychicks Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    We are wanting to set up a mister in our run. Would like to see how someone else has theirs and what type you use. If you have pics, that would be an added bonus!! [​IMG] Thank you!

2. m.r.heavenlyhens

m.r.heavenlyhens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    I live in Texas and I was always out there in the summer spraying water and making puddles for the chickens in the heat. I saw a mister at Sams club. I bought it and we put it up around the bottem of a building that is up on cinder blocks behind our regular house. It has been the best thing we ever did! The chickens just love and some will sit right under the mister and let it cool them. You can almost see them smile! I can't post photos yet because I am a newby but the height is about stwo feet off ground and it only takes a slight water pressure to create a mist. You will probably have to experiment and see what works best in the run. hope this helps. I would encourage anyone living in a hot climate to invest in one of these. I beleive they cost around $30.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  3. OHhappychicks

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    Thank you m.r.heavenleyhens. We have 2 henhouses. The newest one houses 24 teenager chicks. It does not have much shade at all. We are going to construct a shade clothe covering and want to put a mister in it to keep them cool. We may do it for the other HH that houses our "mature" girls. They have nice shade in their run, but I think they would like a mister also. The heat and humidity has been terrible the last couple of weeks and looks like for at least another week of the same. Need to get on this and make them a little more comfy.

4. Maxie Misty Chicks

Maxie Misty Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    Sorry so late in reply but I just love the misters and if I can find it in the budget, I will get another one. Take care and if you need any input about staying cool, let me know. I live in Texas, but I am determined to keep my girls comfortable!

5. OHhappychicks

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    Thank you Maxie Misty Chicks! What type do you use? I wanted to get the misting hose, but couldn't find one here. Walmart wanted $69 for a misting fan! So I ended up getting a trigger wand that has a mist setting. The trigger can be locked into place. Going to try that hopefully today. Also bought a timer. We have a well and don't want the pump to over work. We have never run out of water in the 37 yrs we have lived here. Going to be another hot one here today, but the humidity doesn't seem to be quite as bad, but still bad enough! Spent time a couple of years ago in Houston, my DH was working there, so I have experienced the heat and humidity there!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] That is the type of heat we are having here!

6. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    This is what we used and it was very easy to put together. We have it were there is a couple of misters under the coop (it stands 2' off the ground) and a drip hose to keep fresh water going into the duck pool. We also got a timer for it so that I don't have to worry about running out there to turn the water on and off. We love it so much that we are going to get more next year for the garden.

We got ours at Lowe's

Mister Landscaper 50' Green Micro Sprinkler Starter Kit
    Item #: 71218 | Model #:MLK-81
    $32.61

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  7. OHhappychicks

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    Thank you for the info Darklingstorm! I went to Lowes yesterday and they were out I guess. The sales lady couldn't find them. She was very helpful, but as a last resort, said I could buy a hose and poke little holes in it! Well, I suppose I could, but if you can buy them, why? [​IMG] They did not have any mist fans either. I will keep checking back to see if they get anymore in. Thanks again! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by