Misting eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by obsessiveanimallover, Aug 2, 2011.

1. obsessiveanimallover

obsessiveanimallover New Egg

Jul 2, 2011
    So in my first hatch, I put in 36 eggs. Only one hatched but he had problems hatching and I had to help him out of the shell, he died soon after that (something was wrong with his legs). I was wondering if anybody had any luck with misting their eggs to help soften the shells to make it easier for the little ones to hatch out. I want a better hatch rate/survival rate so I am looking into new things!! Please tell me what you do! [​IMG]

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Misting eggs is common for water fowl not chickens, since a duck or goose would get off the nest and swim, drink, eat and return. I don't think misting chicken eggs would be beneficial since it isn't something happening in nature to them. It would be better to check your incubator and make sure the temp and humidity are calibrated between at least two sources. This way you can figure out if your temp was too high or too low. Humidity is a factor also so making sure you know what it is running is important too. Also if they were shipped eggs, the rough handling in transit could have damaged them. There are many factors to effect the hatch out come. If you are new to hatching it is best to look at the incubator, check the basics (heat/humidity) and then go from there with hatches. Always remember hatching shipped eggs is luck of the draw. Plus the temps across the country currently can be damaging to the shipped eggs too.

Shellie

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Misting can be a problem for the incubator; some areas are not to get wet. I was cautioned about this by a representative of the Miller Little Giant incubator. I beleive some duck eggs are dunked in warm water for 30 min a day; not heard of chicken eggs. Did wonder this myself as my hen's eggs are much thicker than those I used to buy at the store. Made me wonder if they will need some softening.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by