1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mite bomb??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tuffy, Aug 10, 2009.

1. tuffy

tuffy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    Probably a silly question~ Is there such a thing as a bomb to tackle mites in the coop? I have 37 chickens(24 -8 week olds) I discovered mites on one of the babies yesterday. I really can't imagine dusting 37! how do the big chicken farms control mites. I was hoping there is a bomb, like a flea bomb that you close up and activate in the coop while everyone is out for the day~ then perhaps DE or lime in the deep litter. Thanks

2. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Sadly, in order to control the mites, you will indeed have to dust each and everyone, and/or treat individually with some off-label method.

And once you've done so you'll need to treat their coop/quarters too. Sprinkle Sevin dust in the next boxes and on the roosts and floor.

And if you want to "bomb" the place, get yourself some "Dairy Spray" like this:

http://www.petvetsupply.com/cvfarspray.html

But just using dairy spray won't kill the mites on your birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by