mite help!

NewChcikenmommy!

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Kingsland,Georgia
My hen has mites all over her body that resemble the mite on the right side of this diagram I found online.
9_-Diagram-of-mite-and-lous.gif

HOW can I get rid of these? The article reads that this is a leg mite and while she has all the symptoms they are everywhere BUT the legs. It says to use a surgical spirit once a week for 3wks..is this rubbing alcohol? And if so this suggests only doing it on the legs however she has them on every feather of her body. They've even come off on me. ugh so gross
WHAT SHOULD I DO?!
Thanks in advance!!
-Brittany

I just had this problem and treated over 100 chickens with the cattle version of ivermectin
you put just a few drops (2 for bantams, 5 for large birds) behind their necks on the skin
do not put it on their vents
the cattle oil version (5%) is VERY strong, so do not overdose
feather mites live ONLY on the birds so treating them this way lasts longer than the mites plus the next hatch so you only have to treat once
not to be taken internally by the chickens
there are other treads with more info, search for them
worked great! and way better than dusting with Sevin
good luck

Thanks! Of course the day I go out to all the local hardware stores everyone is out of the dust..ugh

I have a flea shampoo for dogs that has Neem as the primary ingredient. would it be safe to bathe her in this until I can get my hands on the dust?

Eprinex cattle pour on works great too, kills them all within a day or two. The only thing is the smallest bottle is $40. I use it on my goats to, so the it is cost efficient for me.

NewChcikenmommy! :

Thanks! Of course the day I go out to all the local hardware stores everyone is out of the dust..ugh

I have a flea shampoo for dogs that has Neem as the primary ingredient. would it be safe to bathe her in this until I can get my hands on the dust?

Lowe's has it as does Fred's. Dust all your chickens and inside their coop including nests and roosts. Repeat dusting everything in 10 days including your birds. Here's a couple of links for you:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig140
http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom