1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mite help!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chick1043, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I just got a rescue hen from a friend at my dads work. She's been beaten up by other hens. I gave her a bath the next day and noticed mites on her!! I put some (not a lot) mite powder (forgot what its called) on her and in her pen. Luckily she hasn't been anywhere near the other girls! How do I get rid of these and fast!! I'm not experienced with mites!! Help!! Thanks!

2. ForgottenGlen

ForgottenGlen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Raeford, NC
    Getting rid of mites takes time, and sevin dust. Dust her and her pen well, and then dust again in 7 days. Make sure to dust well around the vent area, and I hold them upside down and dust under their wings well. You can keep dust out of their eyes and face by using a small felt bag (commonly found in purple) to cover their head. This should get rid of current mites and then hatched out mites in 7 days. To keep from spreading, I would keep her isolated for 3 weeks minimum just in case. Dusting one chicken is not so bad, dusting 25 is a dang chore! [​IMG] Good luck.

3. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Well I have to keep her separated anyways! Luckily. Here's the link to some picks and her story..
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/640661/another-one/10#post_8632210

The lady I got her from already introduced her and another hen she got with that one to her flock..She's had one for 3 - 4 days now. So if the hen I got her from has it then I'm sure the one she kept has it and I'm sure her flock now has it too! Just so you know, yes I did tell her! :)

4. ForgottenGlen

ForgottenGlen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Raeford, NC
    I'm glad you told her, my whole flock got mites and I never want to have to go through that again! Me and the DH with gloves, goggles, and breathing masks for about an hour! [​IMG]

5. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I would hate that!! I washed her really good, especially good around her vent. She didn't like it too much and I didn't want to grab her too hard because I think she's sore from being bullied. I cleaned out her pen and put the mite powder in there and now she's in there. I think she only has a little bit but I'm not going to risk putting her near the girls!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by