Mite infestation in Polish’s puff; need advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jessica1228, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Jessica1228

Jessica1228 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    So it’s not Meraks it’s mites. Puff-ette has the nasty of nasty going on in her head. As per my last post, I thought she might have Meraks after a sudden weakness/ apparent leg paralysis but nope.

She’s very anemic weak but is still eating and drinking like a pig! Now… how do I get them off? I just started rinsing her head and they are pouring out. I’ve trimmed her puff and have some Adams and DE but I’m not sure if or how much I can get on her head without her swallowing or inhaling it.

She thinks she’s drowning as it is. I don’t want to traumatize the poor thing! Can the vet give her anything to kill them or do they just wash as well? Her appointment is Monday morning but I can’t sleep knowing she’s being eaten alive and those ****ers are crawling into my wood floors. I am beyond upset at the moment. Any suggestions on how to get them off without killing her???

And I’m taking a vote. All in favor of mite extinction, raise you wing.

1) What type of bird: 4 year old bant. Polish. 2 lbs 4 oz (down 6 oz from last week)
    2) What is the behavior: weak, mites everywhere, semi-lethargic, can’t walk
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms: 5 days
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms: nope
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma: none visible
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation: nada
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking: 2 c water, corn starter, fruit & veggies, vitamin drops, baby bird formula
    8) How does the poop look? Normal – runny, not terribly unusual
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far: moved inside, started vitamins, rinsed puff.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? Get them off ASAP and vet on Monday

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use: on newspaper and towels.

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I dust my birds with sevin dust. Kills them mites.

3. berkeleysprings

berkeleysprings Chillin' With My Peeps

permitheren works well sold at ts store as a perimater spray also

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    You could use ivomec pour on. A couple drops between the shoulder blades right on the skin. Think I read where someone put it under their wing on the skin. That seems like it may be easier to avoid the downy feathers. They will soak it right up!
    sharon

5. Jessica1228

Jessica1228 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Humm… the liquids might just do the trick. I found a store with Ivomec , might have to go for it. The closest gas station is just over 20 miles, so specific items are a little tricky to find. Have either of you used both or know of one working better than the other?

Should I dilute it or just drop it on straight? I’m debating if a few (2-3) drops in her neck and one under each wing won’t do the trick. So the pour on will absorb systemically? Is there a reason why I can’t always use that and forgo the ducting?

The infestation appears to be isolated for the most part in her crest. I’ve been checking them everywhere; wings, neck, toes, vent and never noticed a one. How could I have missed the thousands in here puff! I feel like such a negligent chicken parent. Thank you for the great advice...again!

6. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Mine had mites and I tried the seven dust and inhaled a large portion of it....so I ordered ivomec pour on for the second treatment in 10 days. It was so much easier! I can't see why it would matter where you put it on as long as you get it directly on the skin. You probably will need to dust the coop though.
    sharon
    ETA: mine are polish also

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by