Mite Infestation

DiamondSwan

Free Ranging
6 Years
Sep 18, 2015
Tracto-chick-oholic
*Sigh...*

And we have mites. Everywhere. No snow here in Georgia, just some comfortable cooler weather -- perfect for mites.

At first I thought the chickens with ruffled, picked feathers were just getting bullied, but I took a closer look and saw lots of mites around the vent area where the feathers are picked out on several of my birds. I checked the coop and found them there also. This has probably been going on for a while *bangs head on brick wall*

So this is my battle plan after 5 minutes of research. :p I'm going to try something that has worked for lice (on our family *cringes and blames dingy rental*): listerine mouthwash. Yup. It worked. I'm going to bathe all of my chickens first, soak 'em in a pale of minty mouthwash, then coat their feathers in DE once they're dry. I won't even bother treating the coop; I need a new one anyway. I'll just have to keep the birds contained away from the infested area and then move them to a lonely shed with a new, attached run once I know all them suckers are gone. I may even nuclear bomb that thing first just in case, then let it air out.

So what do y'all think? Does this even sound feasible? I have a currently daytime free-range mixed flock of chickens, ducks, and guinea fowl. The ducks have been recently moved to a separate pen to eat separately and sleep in at night. The guineas are pretty dumb and just perch on top of the chicken run. So far the ducks and guineas are alright, and I'm assuming because the ducks are on the pond most of the day, and the guineas are usually running off to get into trouble and get run over and stuff, so... I'm assuming they'll be alright?

Save your energy.
DE will NOT cure mites.
Lysterine might kill some of what’s on them by drowning (some of them) but will not address the thousands that are walking around in your coop tonight clamoring to climb on a nice juicy chicken for another blood meal.

Get a permethrin based horse and stable spray that is a “fly repellent”.
Generally a spray bottle costs Less than $10.
Or the permethrin concentrate and follow the dilution directions carefully.

Clean out your coop.
Dispose of all bedding.
Spray the entire coop. Get the edges, corners, nooks, crannies, and all FOUR planes of the roost PLUS where it connects to the wall.

Then spray each chicken with 2 squirts in each of these locations:
Under each wing,
Above and below vent
On back
Top and under neck

Repeat in 10 days.

Edited to add if some of your birds are infested chances are they all are since they commingle.

Good luck.

Hello! I'm sorry about your mite problem. What a bummer. My poor chickens and I (and husband and kids) had to deal with this last year.

@azygous is the one that guided me through my treatment. I hope she doesn't mind me tagging her. But she was such a great help to me.

Anyway, I bought a bottle of Elector PSP, that is a concentrated bacteria that'll play hell with mites. I diluted it (9ml/gal if I recall correctly?) in water in an empty lick tub, and one by one, dipped every single mite-y chicken. Then let them run around and dry off in the sun. Cleaned out the coops and used the same to spray in all nooks and crannies.

Luckily, that was the end of that little (big!) problem!

Maybe that isn't an option for you, but it can also be used to spray the chickens and not dip them. I had too many to spray...

Good luck to you!

Save your energy.
DE will NOT cure mites.
Lysterine might kill some of what’s on them by drowning (some of them) but will not address the thousands that are walking around in your coop tonight clamoring to climb on a nice juicy chicken for another blood meal.

Get a permethrin based horse and stable spray that is a “fly repellent”.
Generally a spray bottle costs Less than $10.
Or the permethrin concentrate and follow the dilution directions carefully.

Clean out your coop.
Dispose of all bedding.
Spray the entire coop. Get the edges, corners, nooks, crannies, and all FOUR planes of the roost PLUS where it connects to the wall.

Then spray each chicken with 2 squirts in each of these locations:
Under each wing,
Above and below vent
On back
Top and under neck

Repeat in 10 days.

Edited to add if some of your birds are infested chances are they all are since they commingle.

Good luck.
Well, I wasn't planning on using the coop or run that they are currently using... I know the process would just start all over again.

As far as removing bedding and spraying goes... they currently don't have any bedding or nesting material since they aren't laying yet, and the house and run is a giant mud hole that will not dry up. I'm going to have to relocate everything, which I was already going to do before I found out about the mites. Everything is starting to fall apart anyway, especially after hurricanes.

Back
Top Bottom