Mite infested chickens

snoopysflock

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 10, 2014
Northern north carolina
When I changed my coops shavings on the floor out i noticed that the chickens had little bald spots on their necks. After a few days the spots got bigger and now they are spreading all over the chickens. I am suspecting mites I have Diatomaceous earth but I know that thats not all you have to do to get rid of mites. Also I have wood shavings on a wood floored coop so I worry about the mites living in that. I can't change my flooring style due to the fact that the ground molds twice a year and chicken wire rusts in my moist hot climate. I also have painted my coop in oil to deter scaly leg mites bit I worry that they will get them if i don't treat them soon.

When I changed my coops shavings on the floor out i noticed that the chickens had little bald spots on their necks. After a few days the spots got bigger and now they are spreading all over the chickens. I am suspecting mites I have Diatomaceous earth but I know that thats not all you have to do to get rid of mites. Also I have wood shavings on a wood floored coop so I worry about the mites living in that. I can't change my flooring style due to the fact that the ground molds twice a year and chicken wire rusts in my moist hot climate. I also have painted my coop in oil to deter scaly leg mites bit I worry that they will get them if i don't treat them soon.

Diatomaceous earth won't do anything except get in the air sacs of birds and shorten their lives. If you have wood or concrete flooring, your best litter would be pine shavings. If you have a mite infestation you'll need to vacate your birds, spray down the litter with something effective in the link I'll post at the end. Remove litter, dust, and clean/spray premises before adding new shavings. Here's an article with basic information: http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/bookstore/pubs/MF2387.pdf

Last edited:
Yes my coop has lots of windows due to the extreme humidity during the summers here and all water is out of the coop. I also painted the roosting bars in mite paint as a future preventative.

Back
Top Bottom