Mite ON my chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cluckcluckluke, Mar 22, 2013.

1. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

When dusting Mites how many times do I have to do it and how many day between each dusting.

Also I am aware I have the mites that live on the hens so I have to clean and wash down the roost and nesting shed.
    But do I have to do this every time i individually dust my chickens or will just the once do it?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  2. cluckcluckluke

11 Views, Some one must know???

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Mites can be difficult to get rid of but usually requires 2 dustings, but sometimes more. I recommend sevin dust, then redust chickens again in 7-10 days. That is when mite eggs usually hatch and you want to kill the nits before they become adults and reproduce, then laying more eggs continuing their lifecycle. Coops and nests need to be dusted in the same manner. Keeping everything as dry as possible helps deter external parasites.
    Ivermectin pour on or eprinex will kill bloodsucking mites, the coop/nests will still have to be dusted. Keep in mind that the primary purpose of ivermectin and eprinex are wormers. (If you wish to go this route.)
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  4. cluckcluckluke

Thanks But that link you gave me says 2 weeks? But you have said only 1?

I have got it all sorted out what I am to do. Thanks again.

5. cluckcluckluke

The mites I have are living on the chickens and in their nest boxing material.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by