Mite treatment for chickens

Jun 9, 2021
What is a good “mite spray” I could use to get rid of the mites in my chicken coop? My 2 chickens picked up some from a fair and now all 4 seem to have them. I have DE but it hasn’t worked- so I’m going to clean the coop again and pair it with a spray. The mites don’t seem to be bothering them that much—maybe they aren’t mites— they are super small little white bugs. What do you guys recommend? Any good mite sprays on Amazon?

What is a good “mite spray” I could use to get rid of the mites in my chicken coop? My 2 picked up some from a fair and now all 4 seem to have them. I have DE but it hasn’t worked- so I’m going to clean the coop again and pair it with a spray. What do you guys recommend?
I am battling mites right now too... it is terrible. But I am using a permithrin spray in my coop .. I just got a bottle of concentrate at TSC

What is a good “mite spray” I could use to get rid of the mites in my chicken coop? My 2 picked up some from a fair and now all 4 seem to have them. I have DE but it hasn’t worked- so I’m going to clean the coop again and pair it with a spray. What do you guys recommend?
clean the coop and i would try Premo Garud mite spay
Get poultry dust or spray with perithrine.
As you found out, de is useless.
DE isn't unless because i have a chicken with mites and that helped a lot but it's probably the least effective way

The mites don’t seem to be bothering them that much—maybe they aren’t mites— they are super small little white bugs. What do you guys recommend?
I would make sure of what you have before you bother with trying to kill them.
Where and when are you seeing these bugs?

Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

They aren’t red, they are very very small white bugs they don’t jump. They are usually on the comb of the chicken. I’m in northern Florida- in case that helps Id them.

Back
Top Bottom