Mite Treatment Questions

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NoSkiveez, Nov 21, 2010.

1. NoSkiveez

NoSkiveez NoSkiveez Poultry

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    Recently we have been having some issues with birds getting into our coop. Lots of them. We fixed the problem but now have a nice case of mites in this coop. This is where my younger birds are. I dusted all of the chickens really well on Tuesday, but I am still seeing live mites. I'm going back out to dust (DE) Again tomorrow. When I dusted last time, we really dusted good, did perches bedding, ground, etc. I was kind of surprised to still see mites walking thru the powder still on the skin of the chickens. Granted, it is fewer but I expected all to be dead and just needing to retreat every week to get rid of the newly hatched mites.

I'm using DE. Should I try something different? How long will mites remain alive after coming in contact with DE. Will they die from DE "dust" or do they have to come in contact with large amounts of the powder?

I'm going to try the "chicken in a bag" technique this time.

Anything I can give them to make them less appealing to mites?

2. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't use DE, but from what I understand, it is a good preventative, but if you have a large infestation it doesn't clear it up very well.
    I use Sevin Dust 5% powder on my chickens twice a year and never get mites. I also keep the coop and run dusted regularly. Used properly and sparingly, Sevin is just as safe as DE, maybe more so as it doesn't fly in the air as much, and is extremely effective.

edited to add: I forgot to mention that DE works by cutting the skin of the bugs and they dehydrate and die. So in theory, the bugs wouldn't really need to come into contact with huge amounts of it to kill them. But I would think the more the better [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    As you can see, DE isnt as good as it's hyped up to be. DE is great for drying out a damp coop or keeping moisture out of feed...and that's all. It may or may not prevent lice/mites, but not treat them. Use sevin dust on your chickens and inside your chicken house,nests etc...repeat with sevin dust in 10 days including your chickens. http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

4. NoSkiveez

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    Is there more than one type of seven dust? I want to be sure to get the proper kind.

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:It's just regular 5% Sevin Dust for gardens.

I use Permethin for prevention of mites/lice. Mix it up in one of those weed sprayers and spray all the birds/coops down. The residue lasts around 30 days, so I do it every month. This is the brand I use http://www.google.com/products/cata...og_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CEIQ8wIwAA# Tractor Supply Carries it. I find its so much easier than dusting the birds.

6. NoSkiveez

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    Sorry, I'm full of questions today.

If the mite problem continues after seven dust treatment, would it be advisable to try Ivermectin treatment?
    Would it be safe on chicks? Id like to rehome some chicks but can't until the mite situation has completely cleared up. Would a prescription be needed for Ivermectin? Or could I order it online without one?

7. SundownWaterfowl

8. NoSkiveez

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop

I use Permethin for prevention of mites/lice. Mix it up in one of those weed sprayers and spray all the birds/coops down. The residue lasts around 30 days, so I do it every month. This is the brand I use http://www.google.com/products/cata...og_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CEIQ8wIwAA# Tractor Supply Carries it. I find its so much easier than dusting the birds.

When you spray down your coop/birds do you turn each bird upside down and wet them or do you just spray the coop and the birds as they are in the coop?

9. NoSkiveez

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop

When you spray down your coop/birds do you turn each bird upside down and wet them or do you just spray the coop and the birds as they are in the coop?

10. SundownWaterfowl

The sprayer is long, so you can sort of stick it in their feathers and spray. I also spray under their vent and their legs/feet. I don't turn each bird upside down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by