1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mite-y Smelly Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vegaschick, Nov 23, 2009.

1. vegaschick

vegaschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Las Vegas
    I aquired 4 - 3yr old hens (1 golden comet, 1 silver laced wyandotte, 1 golden laced wyandotte, and 1 buff orpington) about 1 week ago. They are all in rough shape with major feather loss on their back, butt, and underside. I have plenty of laying mash available plus I have been giving them a bit of cat food and yogurt. Yesterday I added vitamin/minerals (GP Poultry Supplement) to their water. They are slowly getting their feathers back but are obviously plagued with mites. I want to dust them but worry that in their bare state the dust may hurt them. Any suggestions? Advice? Also the SLW smells really bad and has very watery poo. Help?!

2. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    dust them ASAP and then worm them. The mites and worms will kill them.

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i agree with chickenlady. Mites can kill them. You have to get those under control to get their strength back.

4. vegaschick

vegaschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Thanks. I have the stuff and will dust them immediately. How do I worm them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by