Mites and chckens. Yikes! Hi everyone from Salt Lake City.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by goldielox, Aug 7, 2013.

1. goldielox

goldielox Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2013
    Cleaned and bleached coop. Used poultry protector and dipped them all. Put in fresh straw. We have huge trees in our backyard and a ton of wild birds that feed and eat in my yard. Anymore Ideas? My chickens are my pets and I love them. Will post pictures when I figure out how. Does anyone know best ratio water verses Poultry protector concentrate? Like 5 parts water to 1 part concentrate..........

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

1 person likes this.
  5. goldielox

Aug 6, 2013
    Still worried about my Roo. He is eating like crazy and seems so thin and ratty. He has runny stools mostly clear not much of anything. I've never wormed and he is over 4 years old. He isn't crowing either. I will try the lower spectrum wormer I guess unless people think DE will help. I have alot of wild birds that feed around my chickens, nothing I can do when I let them run around my 1/3 acre yard which they love.

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Rather use a good quality dewormer like Valbazen. Follow up with a second dose 10 days after the first, to make sure you get any worms that have hatched since the first treatment. Then fatten your rooster up with some high protein food, scrambled eggs, a little dry cat food, meat scraps is all good.

1 person likes this.
  7. goldielox

Aug 6, 2013
    I give my chickens good high protein stuff all the time, I've read that if you use a broad spectrum wormier that kills all of them they might die. Vinnys ladies are much bigger and only the Cuckoo Marin seems small and light. I love my little Red Silkie Roo, his name his Vinny and he used to be a warrior. Even his feathers look ratty and dull. Any ideas are appreciated. I've read something like Whazine?

8. goldielox

Aug 6, 2013
    Today I gave him milk, hoping he could absorb it easier. He used to let his ladies eat first, now he will peck them he seems so hungry. I give my chickens all the feed they want, they are not hungry. :) lay mash, mini pellets

9. goldielox

Aug 6, 2013
    He drank a 1/4 bowl of milk, hoe he gets some nourishment. :)

10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I would post in the Predators/Pests forum for best results, good luck to you. Or even the Emergencies section.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by