Mites and Dust bath

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by winny, Aug 21, 2013.

1. winny

winny Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2013
    My hens have small white mites or lice on their feathers ,Im wondering do all hens have mites/lice and control them their self by using a dust bath of ash or mud?

Or is it something I need to treat, if so with what?
    Also they are egg laying.

Please help

2. jenifry

jenifry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    South Dakota
    Mites are quite common, but not all chickens have them. I recommend diatomaceous earth in their bedding, nest boxes, and on the floor of the coop and even a little where they dust bathe. You can also buy chemicals such as ivermectin, permethryn or even malathion. to apply to the bird, but shouldn't eat the eggs for 7-30 days if you are treating with a chemical. I have never had a problem with mites, but I have heard that you want to have some sort of control or treatment, because they can get to be a big problem in a hurry.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Chickens will, to some degree, if able to, control any mites/lice by dust bathing. However, if you are seeing mites on your chickens, it is time for you to treat them instead of relying on them to treat themselves. The best thing to use is a poultry mite and lice powder, or 5%-10% Sevin Dust. The Sevin can be purchased at most garden supply stores, and works well. Dust the birds thoroughly once, and then dust again 7-10 days later to kill any mites that hatched from eggs (mite/lice eggs are usually not harmed by mite treatments).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by