Mites and flystrike with open wound (picture)

ldyshrk

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 19, 2012
I’ve been dealing with a bout of flystrike with my Sizzle. She has two open wounds on her rump that are slowly healing. (Separated, inside, no more maggots, eating, treating the wounds with spray and salve from TSC). I gave her a dose of ivermectin (drops on her back) to help combat the maggots, but somehow she still has mites on her head and chest. I’m wondering what I can use to get rid of them that is safe to use while she has open wounds?

It’s about that time so I’m also going to treat the rest of the flock while I’m at it.

(Picture attached)

Side note: flystrike is no joke. Grossest thing I’ve ever dealt with.

Attachments

• 493F9C62-B5DC-483F-AB54-6324C4299789.jpeg
    493F9C62-B5DC-483F-AB54-6324C4299789.jpeg
    594.5 KB · Views: 109
You should be able to dust your hen with a pyrethrin based poultry dust. I haven't dealt with fly strike and hope to never have to. :sick Glad she's improving. I would take you hen outside to dust her, and let her shake it off a bit, otherwise a spray can be used to.

There's nothing that compares to a maggot infestation! And the stench, at ten paces, or more! I'm glad to hear that you have her improving, good work.
Mites should have died with the ivermectin. If you are in the USA, permethrin spray is the best, both for mites, lice, and maggots.
For mites, treat everyone at night while they are roosting, and spray every inch of the coop, and into every little corner. Also clean out the bedding and treat the floor.
Yuck!
Mary

Thanks! I soaked her again today. The wounds are continuing to heal, but I still saw mites. So I’m headed to TSC to grab some of the spray if I can. Poor girl. She seems skinny. I’ve watched her eat, but haven’t seen her drink. Trying to give her water, but I’d feel so much better to see her drink of her own.

Thanks! I soaked her again today. The wounds are continuing to heal, but I still saw mites. So I’m headed to TSC to grab some of the spray if I can. Poor girl. She seems skinny. I’ve watched her eat, but haven’t seen her drink. Trying to give her water, but I’d feel so much better to see her drink of her own.

I have a toddler who is over her pouches so I have TONS of apple sauce . I’ll add that and eggs. She’s been going to oatmeal and today I added some plain yogurt.

Update: hen is still separated and is slowly healing, but she still has mites. I bought permethrin 10 and the spray can from TSC and sprayed the girls and the coop. Still mites. This morning I dusted her with garden and poultry dust. Still mites. They seem to be mostly on her head and neck. What next? I feel so bad for her :(

Update: hen is still separated and is slowly healing, but she still has mites. I bought permethrin 10 and the spray can from TSC and sprayed the girls and the coop. Still mites. This morning I dusted her with garden and poultry dust. Still mites. They seem to be mostly on her head and neck. What next? I feel so bad for her :(
How much of the permethrin 10 did you use when you mixed it with water?

Back
Top Bottom