Mites and lice?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jenniferlamar70, Nov 22, 2016.

1. jenniferlamar70

jenniferlamar70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    I got a hen awhile back and noticed she had what I thought was poo stuck around her vent. I bathed her and trimmed it. Started her on probiotics etc.. I kept her quarantined but other then that never had an issue. The lady we got her from was a vet tech and a friend of my dh so didn't think much about her health. Well after awhile all my hens were scratching and looking disorderly. I realized it was poultry lice after doing some research. I'm sure the other hen I brought in had it and I had just thought it was like ibs. I've treated all my chickens and ducks with ivermectin and recently noticed red mites on my broody. I dusted everywhere with 7 dust. Just not sure what to do because I've already treated with ivermectin which is supposed to take care of poultry live, mites and some worms. Should I treat them again or find something else?

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    For severe infestation it's best to use the permethrin spray... the coops, birds, the whole lot... I did a repeat after 10 days just to make sure... we had uninvited guests that brought passengers, lol...

TSC carries this... and a little goes a long way...

[​IMG]

3. jenniferlamar70

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    Thanks so much RavynFallen your a life saver. Trying to get on top of it but never dealt with this before. I'll go purchase some today. Do I spray it directly on the birds? Also it their a withdrawal period for the eggs? Thanks.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

The ivermectin will treat the bugs on the birds, but not what's n the coop. Some mites are resistant to Sevin, so do like RavynFallen suggested and get the permethrin spray (Gordon's).

-Kathy

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  6. jenniferlamar70

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California

Ok thanks. Will do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by