Mites and lice?

jenniferlamar70

Songster
Apr 24, 2016
Northern California
I got a hen awhile back and noticed she had what I thought was poo stuck around her vent. I bathed her and trimmed it. Started her on probiotics etc.. I kept her quarantined but other then that never had an issue. The lady we got her from was a vet tech and a friend of my dh so didn't think much about her health. Well after awhile all my hens were scratching and looking disorderly. I realized it was poultry lice after doing some research. I'm sure the other hen I brought in had it and I had just thought it was like ibs. I've treated all my chickens and ducks with ivermectin and recently noticed red mites on my broody. I dusted everywhere with 7 dust. Just not sure what to do because I've already treated with ivermectin which is supposed to take care of poultry live, mites and some worms. Should I treat them again or find something else?

For severe infestation it's best to use the permethrin spray... the coops, birds, the whole lot... I did a repeat after 10 days just to make sure... we had uninvited guests that brought passengers, lol...

TSC carries this... and a little goes a long way...

For severe infestation it's best to use the permethrin spray... the coops, birds, the whole lot... I did a repeat after 10 days just to make sure... we had uninvited guests that brought passengers, lol...

TSC carries this... and a little goes a long way...

Thanks so much RavynFallen your a life saver. Trying to get on top of it but never dealt with this before. I'll go purchase some today. Do I spray it directly on the birds? Also it their a withdrawal period for the eggs? Thanks.

I got a hen awhile back and noticed she had what I thought was poo stuck around her vent. I bathed her and trimmed it. Started her on probiotics etc.. I kept her quarantined but other then that never had an issue. The lady we got her from was a vet tech and a friend of my dh so didn't think much about her health. Well after awhile all my hens were scratching and looking disorderly. I realized it was poultry lice after doing some research. I'm sure the other hen I brought in had it and I had just thought it was like ibs. I've treated all my chickens and ducks with ivermectin and recently noticed red mites on my broody. I dusted everywhere with 7 dust. Just not sure what to do because I've already treated with ivermectin which is supposed to take care of poultry live, mites and some worms. Should I treat them again or find something else?

The ivermectin will treat the bugs on the birds, but not what's n the coop. Some mites are resistant to Sevin, so do like RavynFallen suggested and get the permethrin spray (Gordon's).

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom