mites! any input is appreciated!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beckysaur, Mar 9, 2015.

1. beckysaur

beckysaur Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Hi all,

My buff orpington Squatty fractured her leg a couple weeks ago. One week ago I isolated her from the group and have kept her in a small space to prevent her from using her leg too much. The vet recommended I do this for a week in the hopes that her leg will heal on its own.

A few days ago I noticed mites. When I picked her up I saw them all over my hands. They're tiny and reddish. I don't see any eggs on her feathers or anything, but her legs do look a bit scaly, so I think they may be leg mites? Last night I washed her feet and covered them with vegetable oil and vaseline. I've been pulling her out of her box and putting her in a small fenced off area for part of the days, but I assume she got the mites because there's not as good of an area for dust bathes...

I was hoping to reintegrate her with the rest of the flock in the next couple days, but should I quarantine her for longer to prevent the mites from infesting the other chickens? If so, how long would be recommended? Just until I can't see any mites?

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!

Becky

2. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Put Vaseline on them.Be sure they are dust bathing in ashes afterwards....

3. beckysaur

Sep 30, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Does it matter what kind of ashes? Would ashes from my fireplace work?
    Thanks!

4. beckysaur

Sep 30, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Also- does anyone have thoughts about using diatomaceous earth? Would you recommend mixing it in with their dust bath area? Putting it directly on feathers?

5. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Ashes from anywhere qork.Please do mix it in with ashes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by