Mites, broody, just maturing hens...a mess

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sahmhomesteader, Aug 7, 2014.

1. sahmhomesteader

sahmhomesteader Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2013
    SW Ohio
    I have 6 mature hens, 14 just maturing hens and 2 roosters. About 12 or so days ago one of my hens went broody. The eggs she are sitting on are the last 4 that were laid. All of my mature hens just stopped suddenly the next day! So I inspected them. I found 1 single mite on 2 separate hens. So I started spraying them with Poultry Protector and dusting them manually every day. One of the hen's comb was pale and it has started to pink back up, and although I see no more bugs on her, I think I see some eggs. The rest of the birds appear bugless except for my broody (who has been moved away from the other birds and has new bedding but she gets really really mad and stressed when I mess with her). My question is, how long should I continue treatment? Also, what do I do with my broody? And what do I do with the chicks when they hatch? I plan on allowing her to be a mama instead of taking the chicks from her.

Also, my 21 week old hens have not started laying yet. Do some breeds just take longer to mature or have the mites set back their laying?

This is all brand new to me (mites, sexually maturing hens, broody) so I appreciate any insight and advice!

2. sahmhomesteader

Nov 3, 2013
    SW Ohio
    I meant how do I treat my broody and do I treat the chicks...

3. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    What kind of hens do you have? I would dust every few days. Put the dust in their dust bath too. I'd spray according to directions on the bottle. What are you using?

Keep the Mama separate. I was able to let mine free range with the group supervised at about 5 days and totally after about a full week or so. Make sure theres starter feed for the chicks they can't have a layers ration. If the flock isn't ok with them Mama and chicks you'll have to adjust things for a while.

Stress can cause hens to stop laying. So adding to the group, dealing with mites, being rattled, etc can all affect this.

4. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Oh. You could probably spray/ dust the broody. I have a broody girl right now who regularly dusts herself. I wouldn't do too much with chicks if you don't think she's infested. They may be too small for that.

5. sahmhomesteader

Nov 3, 2013
    SW Ohio

I am spraying them with Poultry Protector. It says I can spray them as often as needed, but it is very expensive. I am dusting them manually with DE.

I haven't added any new members to the flock so I guess it is the mites :(

6. sahmhomesteader

Nov 3, 2013
    SW Ohio
    Also, I do think the broody may have a few bugs. I couldn't imagine her not. It is just so hard to get a good look at her and spray her because she gets so upset. And I just wasn't sure if the mites would kill the chicks.

7. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Is this Manna Pro Poultry Protector?

Put on some leather gloves. They make dealing with angry broodys much easier. They can't help, but be protective when they think we're trying to mess with their kin/future kin.

8. sahmhomesteader

Nov 3, 2013
    SW Ohio

Yes it is. Do you have experience with it? I just checked a few of my hens and found more bugs :( I am quite discouraged. I am trying to do everything as naturally as possible.

9. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Make sure you are wearing a GOOD face mask while working with any powders, as in DE or the much more effective permethrin (poultry dust). Topical ivermectin works great too! Mites will be very bad for the broody hen and her chicks, so treating her and the bedding is essential. Mary

10. sahmhomesteader

Nov 3, 2013
    SW Ohio

I was able to treat my broody this morning. I had sprayed her once a few days ago, but didn't think I got her well. Today when I sprayed her, there were lice visible, but they were not moving at all. Praying they are dead or dying. Hoping for the same result with my other birds as well. Hopefully the Poultry Protector is working.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by