Mites crawling all over my eggs under the hend!!! How do I treat???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Msbear, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Well, first let me tell you I've had a heck of a time with these eggs. My hen suddenly went broody so I grabbed a couple from the fridge, an egg I found under the coop and there was 1 "bait" egg that's been in there for a month or so to keep her coming back. (only have 1 hen laying right now -or was laying:)

On day 14, I candled and three were developing nicely though one egg had a hole. It was a developing egg, but not enough to hatch. the next day I peeked in her nest while the mrs. was out and noticed tiny bugs scurrying in and out of the egg. I peeked in and noticed there was no movement and assumed the chick was dead so I peeked in and... I'm sorry I did that. I'll have nightmares for a week:(

Then today, another egg was broken, but it was the undeveloped (i believe the bait) egg so I tossed it. I still noticed the bugs and now my chickens are itchy. They are super tiny, like a pen point and they move really fast.

Can I treat the hen and the next without affecting my eggs which should hatch in 4 days??

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Are you sure they are mites? I had an infestation of what I though were mites, but theywere springtails. Extremely tiny, but they didn;t bite. I looked them up and they were springtails

3. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I looked briefly and I think they are rounder than most springtails and look smaller but I don't know. My chickens do seam to be cleaning themsleves a bit more. I guess I'll try to catch a few tomorrow and take them into the feed store and see what they think??? This should be fun....
    Thanks so much!

4. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I would clean out the nest,spray it or dust it and put clean bedding in it. You can dust or spray the hen, then put her and the eggs back in. She'll be more comfortable and the eggs should be fine.

5. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Thanks, I'm trying that food grade DE.

6. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    DE should work, Keep a close eye on her and if it does not solve the problem add some 5% Sevin dust to the DE and reapply. Sevin is an insecticide but it is pretty safe for chickens. Many dust with it alone. I am hesitant to do that but in a bad infestation something stronger is sometimes required. They have a Spray at Petco and most likely at TSC that is made from Pyrethrums, It is called Scalex and it works great for your chickens as well. It is made from Chrysanthemums and It is a more natural product.

7. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    How does one "dust" your chickens? I am picturing myself out there with a flour sifter trying to even get close to my rooster...

8. never_ending_fermata

never_ending_fermata Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Northern New Jersey
    dusting them is not fun....i use spray now instead. its much easier. my 4-h leaders told me to use a Adam's spray. for dogs and cats but it works WONDERFUL on chickens. keeps the lice off mine. just a few sprays on each bird every week or so and that should do it.

9. a2ms4chickens

a2ms4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I just went through the mite thing.

I dusted my birds with Sevin 5% dust, then I dusted the whole chicken pen.

Upon the advise of Miss Prissy, I cut the foot off of a pair of pantyhose, and filled it up with the Sevin dust. I patted it under the wings, the vent, and turned them upside down and patted their underside. The next day, the mites that still hung on, were all dried up. I just scratched them off.

I also used the pantyhose when dusting the pen. It worked great.

I still need to dust again this weekend, it will have been 7 days.

My Birchen modern game was so weak from the mites, he was walking on his hocks. 2 days after dusting, he was standing up again, now he is trying to jump. So, it really does work.

Good luck!!

edited to add that it takes 2 people to dust the chicken. They are most uncooperative!!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  10. Bugcrusher

Bugcrusher Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    to dust chickens:

1 gunny sack, feed sack, etc
    1 lb 7-dust

Put in sevin dust, add chicken and shake gently for 15-20 seconds. Let chicken out of bag and get the next one...repeat. Works like a charm and no injuries to you or chickens.

Bugcrusher

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by