MITES!!!! Dusted-they seem a little better, the vet is no help!

kbaij

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 10, 2008
I have a mixed group of birds ranging from my 11/2 yr old girls, to some 6 month olds, and 1 lucky rooster that was mixed in with our last shipment....a few weeks ago I started noticing that I had a barred rock with a bright red botttom, otherwise healthy-didn,t think Too much of it until the red started to spread and she started losing feathers around the red skin. It then spread VERY rapidly to almost everyone. I have cleaned and disinfected the coop. Talked to a more experienced "chicken" person who said it was mites. I dusted with 5% Sevin powder 5 days ago, will dust again after 7 days have passed. Their skin seem less red, but I have noticed that some are starting to lose some feathers around their combs, can't dust that close to their eyes...any suggestions. The original bird seems to feel ok, but she looks awful, and they are all on the thin side. They have lost weight VERY quickly. I have food and water available at all times, they are being fed Layena- just switched the young one off starter when I put everyone together about a month ago.
Thanks for reading my long winded plea for help!!
tongue.png

You need to get you some DE. Here is a link that will tell you what it is, I buy from this link but you might find it cheaper somewhere else if you do some shopping around. DE is great stuff, and you can put it near their eyes without worry, even feed it to them for worming. Check it out! They also might have some DE for sale in your local feed store, so you wouldnt have to wait for shipping.

http://www.shadowridgedonkeys.com/perma_food_grade.htm

Thanks. I have looked for DE locally and no one carries it! How much do I feed? Any suggestions to put weight back on them?

Feed them oats, uncooked plain oats. My chickens love em and they are fluffy and fat! I usually mix a lil with their regular food as well, to encourage them to eat healthy. If there is some sort of treat you know that they like a lot, feed them that, maybe mixed with their regular food. It might work.

Oh yeah, about the DE, I usually just sprinkle a lil on top of their feed and in thier cages and runs, as well as sprinkling them with it. Doesnt take much if you use it regularly.

Last edited:
If the DE does not work. I now use Fronline flea and tick spray. I put it on the back of the head, under each wing and on both sides of the vent. I tried almost everything to get rid of the lice and mites on my birds. I was told it worked and they were so right. It was kinda expensive as the only place I could find it around here was my vet, but it goes a long way when using it on the birds.

I just went on the site and ordered some DE, but I will keep my eye out for the frontline just in case! I feel sorry for them- they look terrible, they still run around and play, I'm glad they seem to feel a lot better than they look.

I have a bag of rolled oats for my horse, I will add some to their feed tomorrow AM.

You could also try worming them with Eprinex pour on cattle wormer. It would be cheaper than frontline, but is still a bit pricey. I know you are wondering what worming has to do with mites, but the Eprinex will kill internal and external parasites.
wink.png
I had a broody get mites this past spring and treated her with Eprinex after dusting her down down good with DE and it did the trick! I also cleaned out all of the bedding (pine shavings) and sprinkled a good layer of DE in and around her nest. We've never a an issue with mites again and I took care of two things with one medication.
smile.png

DE is a preventative measure for mites and lice. Once the chickens have mites or lice you have to use a chemical like Sevin or poultry dust. To use the dust around their eyes mix a little poultry dust (not Sevin) with some vaseline and use your finger or a q-tip to spread it on the areas that are irritated but not too close. You know what I mean.

Don't forget to treat the coop or you'll never get rid of them. Pull the bedding away from the walls and sprinkle poultry dust next to the walls. Hold the container close to the floor so you don't create a dust cloud. Push the bedding back against the wall. Sprinkle the roosts and any cracks or corner the mites could hide. Clean out the nest boxes, sprinkle with more poultry dust and add new bedding.

Do this while everyone is in the run and don't breath any of the dust yourself. I actually prefer to open all the windows and doors for at least an hour to give the coop time to air out.

It's a battle but you can win.

Eprinex and Ivermectin are the same product but different name. Try to find one or the other. Gumpsgirl was right on the money. Both will kill internal worms and external pests by applying the product to the chickens skin. For big breeds use 5 drops on the back of the neck between the shoulder blades. Have someone help you with this. Make sure the drops get onto the skin and not the feathers. If it gets on the feathers it will not be effective.

WHEW! Hope that helps.
big_smile.png

Is there a reason to use poultry dust and not Ivermectin? It seems much easier to just drop 4-5 drops of ivermectin on each chicken then to make sure you thoroughly dust each of them. They always flap and struggle and scream and I think I get more dusted than they do, but the ivermectin, that's easy. . .
Kay

Back
Top Bottom