1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mites...EWWWWW! Thank god for this site!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Southern28Chick, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I finally talked my DH into holding my roo down after dark so I can check him for mites (as people suggested on this site...THANK YOU). HE HAS MITES!!! So gross!!! DH held him down while I shined a flashlight on his rear and I moved his butt fuzz away and there they were. Lots of little black mites. I carried a cup of DE with me when I went out there and when I saw them I dumped the DE on him and rubbed it all over him.

I hope that'll kill them. Is that all I can do? I hope the DE works.

I actually started mixing a tablespoon of DE in a cup of water for me everyday and now my cats get a big bowl of DE water to drink everyday too. I love this stuff!!!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It should do the trick. My rooster Hawkeye had lice when he came to me and he got that same treatment, in addition to lots of it in his bedding and food. Worked like a charm! Your guy is a handsome fella, for sure. And you know, I saw your video with the little girls reaching their heads through the fencing-I bet they are pecking his comb some when he lowers his head to "talk" to them. My Hawkeye tolerates alot of stuff from his women!

3. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Speckledchick,
    You know, I've seen them peck at his wattles before and the newest black scabs are on one of his wattles and they are in a straight line like it was grabbed and pulled. I bet that's all it is. Thanks!!!

4. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
  5. lakecountychick

lakecountychick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2007
    what's DE and how do you use it? Micaela:confused:

6. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
  7. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    Southern Chick,

Do you get your DE from around here or order it from that link?

Your rooster video was cute.

8. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:I ordered mine from the link I put up. I couldn't find any local. Have you seen any around?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by