mites HELP

muddyhorse

Songster
10 Years
Aug 11, 2009
Bloomsdale, MO
I found some red mites on my silkies (insert screaming and freaking out) I have seen several conflicting treatments on here what works on the birds, I scoured the coop last night and doused it in liquid sevin. what do I use on the birds
1 frontline spray
2 ivomec on birds in water ???
3 mite dust
4 flea bath (some got this last night)
Help please I'm cross posting in pests too

Couple things - First 7 dust on the birds & on the ground around the coop & in the run. The birds will dust themselves there & take care of the issue.

Second - if the mites have already infected your birds feet they will need to be treated. Slather a thick coat of vaseline on their legs & feet. Any mites under their scales will suffocate.

You may need to treat with vaseline again in 1 week.

7 dust (& liquid 7) is very safe for the birds. Do not worry about hurting them.

Flea bath is best for a small number of birds. If you have 30 or 40, that would be a lot of work. If you use ivermectin, the pour-on is generallly considered better and more effective than that mixed into their water. I honestly usually do both.

thanks for the info sonoran I bathed 45 silkies last night
tongue.png
the other side of the coop gets bathes tonight. can ducks get the mites too ? i didn't see any but... can the bath and the ivomec be used within 24 hours of each other ?

Back
Top Bottom