1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

mites HELP

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by muddyhorse, Jul 29, 2010.

1. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Songster

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    I found some red mites on my silkies (insert screaming and freaking out) I have seen several conflicting treatments on here what works on the birds, I scoured the coop last night and doused it in liquid sevin. what do I use on the birds
    1 frontline spray
    2 ivomec on birds in water ???
    3 mite dust
    4 flea bath (some got this last night)
    Help please I'm cross posting in pests too

2. lynxs1981

lynxs1981 Chirping

Jul 8, 2010
    sevin dust to my understanding

3. midget_farms

midget_farms Songster

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Couple things - First 7 dust on the birds & on the ground around the coop & in the run. The birds will dust themselves there & take care of the issue.

Second - if the mites have already infected your birds feet they will need to be treated. Slather a thick coat of vaseline on their legs & feet. Any mites under their scales will suffocate.

You may need to treat with vaseline again in 1 week.

7 dust (& liquid 7) is very safe for the birds. Do not worry about hurting them.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Flea bath is best for a small number of birds. If you have 30 or 40, that would be a lot of work. If you use ivermectin, the pour-on is generallly considered better and more effective than that mixed into their water. I honestly usually do both.

5. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Songster

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    thanks for the info sonoran I bathed 45 silkies last night [​IMG] the other side of the coop gets bathes tonight. can ducks get the mites too ? i didn't see any but... can the bath and the ivomec be used within 24 hours of each other ?

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Good question?
    i didn't see any but... can the bath and the ivomec be used within 24 hours of each other ?

I do; usually on skin while feathers stilll wet.​

7. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Songster

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    thanks for the reply I'm less freaked out than I was but I hope I get it under control quick 'cause [​IMG] poor babies

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by