Mites? Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NikkiCole5, Mar 22, 2015.

1. NikkiCole5

NikkiCole5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2015
    I became concerned with my chickens because our wild birds are suddenly dying with no injuries. This concern made me look at my chickens and I found mites possibly, they are the size of ticks and yellow, only seen around the vent. If they are not mites what are they? How do I fix or treat this? Only one of my chickens has diarrhea and is balding on her rump, the others have "clumped feathers" next to the vent with no other issue. Thank you!

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Where do you live?

3. NikkiCole5

Mar 4, 2015
    Oh sorry!
    I live in New Mexico, USA

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

When posting for help your location is sometimes useful. You could include it in your profile. Right now with the avian flu problem, I would be very concerned if I was finding dead wild birds that did not appear to be injured. Maybe you should call your local vet and ask him what should be done with the dead birds.

Lice on your chickens can be treated with poultry dust or Sevin garden dust.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  5. NikkiCole5

Mar 4, 2015

Yes I know location is useful, I totally forgot, I'm new to the site :)
    We do not have a vet anywhere near us that cares for birds, so there is nothing I can do about it. But thank you about the dust! Do I just put it on them or in the yard?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by