Mites ! ! ! Helpl ! !

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BillT, Jun 19, 2010.

1. BillT

BillT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Sweetwater, TN
    I have 2 week old chicks in a brooder in the garage. Because of the heat I have been leaving the doors open all day each day.
    The day before yesterday, I noticed a couple of birds had built a nest very close to the brooder. I put a stop to that, but this morning about half of the chicks are scratching like crazy. [​IMG] I put some play sand in the corner of the brooder and mixed some DE in it. Is there anything else I should do to get rid of these little critters? I am open to suggestions. [​IMG]

2. monita

monita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    Shelbyville, Tennessee
    I use 7 dust on their rear and under their wings once a week and put it in the coop to help prevent mites. It works well.
  3. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    There are several dusts that are still approved for use on poultry they generally contain permethrin.

Some folks have an aversion to using insecticides on their chickens.

That 7 dust has been withdrawn by its manufacturer for the purposes of use on poultry, while it is and will be available it would be an off label use and thus not exactly proper. The 7 is really Sevin aka carbaryl which in one form (there are several manufacturing processes that can produce the desired end product, one of which produces some really nasty stuff while getting there and was the chemical released in Bhopal India) is very deadly.

You will need to make a decision and then retreat your chickens until the mites are gone (it will take more than just one application and you'll also need to treat their entire area).
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  4. abooth

abooth Chillin' With My Peeps

I mix a poultry dust that I got at tsc with some de. I put it in the foot of a pair of pantyhose and tie a knot and cut it off so you end up with a little bag. Then I use it like a powder puff to apply it to the chickens. It works better than trying to dump the stuff on them. Just wear a pair of gloves and protect your arms because the poultry dust is an insecticide. Don't get it in their eyes or food and water. And try not to inhale the stuff. Good luck. It's easier than I make it sound, really. Once you make your powder puff it will last for several applications and you can store it in a ziploc bag.
  5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    Hold on, Bill, chicks scratch a lot as new feathers come in. It may not be mites at all.

Examine the adults at night with a flashlight. If you see mites on them, then is the time to treat. But don't go willy-nilly treating the chicks when you don't know there are mites. Examine everyone first.
  6. GrannySue

GrannySue Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That? Is brilliant!!!
  7. BillT

BillT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Sweetwater, TN
    THANKS to Everyone for the advice !
    Ranchhand - good point - I will check tonight to see if they really have them. They seem to be scratching more than normal.

Thanks again

8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    There are different kinds of mites. Some live on the bird, others live on the coop/roost/bedding and come out at night to suck blood from the chickens. You won't be able to spot this kind by inspecting your birds alone.

I always put a layer of DE (or poultry dust with permethrin in the summer, when mites are more prevalent) at the bottom of nestboxes before I put in shavings, and I change shavings at least weekly in the summertime. I also treat my roosts preventatively with Adams Flea and Tick spray (when the chickens aren't in the area, of course) paying special attention to spraying the bottom of the roost. So far, so good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by