1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mites? I need advice.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by YardBird192, Feb 23, 2014.

1. YardBird192

YardBird192 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2013
    Southeast Georgia
    We picked up eleven Australorps chicks that are just a few days old from a friend who purchased them from a hatchery, but changed his mind and wanted EEs instead. They are less than a week old and had been in his barn. One of the babies is scratching and chirping so bad. She keeps falling to the floor scratching both sides repeatedly. I put her body into a DE bath and she shook well but continued to scratch. It looked as if she was gonna scratch her eyes out. I took her to the bath sink and gently cleansed the head and neck with warm water and dried. No change. Any suggestions?

2. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Sevin dust. DE works as a great preventative, but once they are infested you need to call in the big guns. If you want to get rid of the mites and worms, you can use Ivermectin pour-on cattle dewormer. 3 drops on the back of the neck, on the skin, for small birds, up to 5 drops for a large bird.

Be warmed if it is mites (which show as a small brown or red circular bug) you may need to treat the area they have been in as well. They are bad for crawling into every crack and crevice and living there happily, continually reinvesting your birds and making a general mess of everything.

3. YardBird192

YardBird192 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2013
    Southeast Georgia
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by