mites in coop insulation

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by garyat1965, Sep 9, 2010.

1. garyat1965

garyat1965 New Egg

Sep 6, 2010
    Michigan
    With Michigan winters approaching, I'm thinking of insulating the coop, but wonder what the best type of insulation to use. Also concerned about mite infestation in the walls if we insulate using R16 fiberglass insulation with a vapor barrier covered with paneling.

Our coop size is 8x12 with a standard size door on one 12 ft side and small crank open windows on either 8 ft end.

thanks for any suggestions.

Gary

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Yes, I think it's a potential problem. But you can lessen it by caulking the seams inside where panels join, making it less likely that mites could get into the insulation in the first place. I'd love to hear what others have to say about this...since I'm in the same boat having just insulated my new coop.

It would be a nightmare if your coop got infested and you had to pull off the panels and replace the insulation.

3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I have heard of this and the chalking is a super idea! With my girls I'd worry about them picking at the chalking if you used white (they have OCD's - honest) so if you use it, perhaps make sure its squeezed into the gap and less showing in the coop or colors.
    It is miserable to clean out the insulation or any air space from what I hear.
    (One pal said they use steam heat every spring to kill bacteria, mites and fleas. I honestly don't know about that one!)

4. drunkdog

drunkdog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Everett
    you could use sheet insulation instead (panels) or run a bead of caulk or adhesive on the back side of the plywood seams before installing it that way the critters have a harder time getting to it in the first place....

5. kingdr85

kingdr85 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Madison-Columbus WI
    you can also sprinkle some DE on the insulation....should help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by