Mites in duck house!?!?

rubberduckies

Songster
8 Years
Feb 9, 2013
Kentucky
I just went out to clean the duck house and saw tiny red bugs. At first I thought "oh, is there a chigger in here?" But then I saw about 10 of them. I scooped up the poop into my bucket and when I took it to the compost bin I saw a couple on the edge of it. Could it be mites!?!? I thought ducks didn't get mites. I don't think they're on the ducks. Not that I know of. But if its mites how do I get rid of them? Or could it be chiggers? We just mowed the grass yesterday. I don't know what to do. I've been doing the deep litter method for the past few weeks. Do I need to completely clean it out? Please give me some advice!

Ok, I realize I just sounded like an idiot because chiggers are a type of mite. But I just don't think of them that way I guess. Can chiggers get into a duck's skin like humans? And if I sprayed poison it could hurt the ducks, so is there an "organic" way to get rid of them and keep them away? Did the ducks attract chiggers? We've never had a problem with them (or even seen them for that matter) since we moved here a year ago. Now I feel like bugs are crawling all over me. Ugh!

You've got a case of the heebee jeebeeis!
ep.gif
And your ducks and duck house has a case of the mites. Read the previous article I sent you, and you can also read this article. Scroll down to the mite section. http://www.callducks.net/ectop.htm

Last edited:
Can I get DE at TSC? I'm using pine and PDZ right now in the house. And I have no idea what poultry shield is. Where would I find that? I've heard some people use sevin dust...

Back
Top Bottom