mites in winter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KristyMN, Dec 29, 2012.

1. KristyMN

KristyMN Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    Minnesota
    I'm pretty new to chickens. My three hens just started laying about a week ago now.

The problem:
    My hens stopped coming in at night two nights ago - they are roosting in the dirt in their run instead, and I have to lift them into their coop. All the reading I have done suggests that this is from mites, but are mites really an issue in the dead of winter? It has been in the single digits here in MN lately. I am going to treat for mites tomorrow regardless, but I was just wondering if anyone had any other ideas of what it might be. Thanks for your help!

2. TheSpeckledRoo

TheSpeckledRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    Michigan
    I have noticed that sometimes chickens just want to be stubborn. I have one hen that will stick her face in the nesting box which is on the ground, while the others will be roosting above. I suggest you to keep your hens inside their coop for a week and don't let them out. often this makes them realize that they need to go to the coop.

3. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    If you have heat in your coop maybe it could have mites? I wouldn't think mites in the winter either!
    maybe something in the coop is scaring them, or is it dark in the coop and they may not see well enough to get on the roost?

4. KristyMN

Feb 26, 2012
    Minnesota
    I have a red light bulb on in there when it drops below 20 degrees outside, so it's not too dark or anything, but not too warm, either! I can't imagine what is scaring them, since it's a pretty small coop and I keep it clean. They go into it plenty during the day, to lay eggs or just hang out. I'm sort of wondering if a mouse manages to get in sometimes. I am going to do a thorough cleaning today and check for holes in the run, too. The high today is 26, so a balmy day to do it! Ha!

Thanks for the help so far.

5. TheSpeckledRoo

TheSpeckledRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    Michigan
    haha it is not a mouse. Chickens like to eat mice as a treat!

6. KristyMN

Feb 26, 2012
    Minnesota
    Oh really? Ha! Shows how new I am to it all :)
    I am going to clean out the coop and get some poultry dust and spread it around. I hope that helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by