Mites infestation!!! MANY Conflicting suggestions here! Help please.

Permethrin 10 % liquid form
I love it same situation as you even lost one. Cleaned the coop out sprayed with water and left to dry and then sprayed it at night 9pm. Next day found no more mites and insects in the coop. Recommend spraying at night. Can not recommend this enough.
Hey thanks for the tip. I read that I should let the coop dry first? I’m not sure why if I’m also spraying this stuff ON the birds as well. Also, have you ever treated young chickens? We got a bad infestation after I impulsively bought 3 extra Day old chicks Who are now 7 weeks old. They live in the coop too but in a separate area to themselves for obvious reasons. They also spend all day Outside in a enclosed pen. So, should I be treating them as well or wait a little bit til they’re older and just treat their coop?

You mix it with water in the sprayer, and hit everything, walls, nest boxes, everything.
Don't spray eggs, or have the nest box bedding wet when the hens go in to lay eggs there. We spray at night usually, so it's not a problem.
AND ESPECIALLY, permethrin is toxic to cats, so don't have any cats there while things are wet!!!
Also, the mix doesn't keep well in a plastic sprayer, so make up what you plan to use, don't try to store it for weeks in the sprayer.
Here we have those miserable house wrens invading the coop almost daily, bringing mites with them. It's been a royal pain this summer!
Mary
I agree that it was bad this year! This is year 2 for us and 2nd summer, last year we had no problems. This year we got hit hard. One of my girls’ butt is red and I feel really bad about it! Idk what I can do. Neosporin maybe? Once those pests are gone I hope she’ll regrow her feathers. She used to be so fluffy!!

Back
Top Bottom