Mites - is ivermectic liquid effective?.. oral, topical, injection?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by merrydancer, Jul 24, 2011.

1. merrydancer

merrydancer Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2007
    I am having an unusally bad outbreak of mites... red and northern. I think. Got some liquid ivermectic. Think I have seen posts about using this. Any help with how to give... oral... topical... injection, dosage... I have banties, ameraucanas and orpingtons. Repeat??? and how long to withhold using eggs..

Also what is best for treating coop?

I am pretty sure somebody will have some answers... as the smartest, wisest chicken people on the planet are right here!! [​IMG]

Thank you in advance for any help for advice.

2. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    [​IMG]
    Sorry about the mite problem! I have only dealt with foot mites. I read in a magazine to liberally coat the bird's feet in Vaseline. Two weeks later repeat. I used this method with a new bird I was given from a friend. Her feet were in HORRIBLE condition. Within days of the first treatment they looked 100% better. I'm not sure this is what you were looking for...

I also think I remember seeing that Murray McMurray Hatcheries had a line of coop cleaners for mite infestations.

Hope this helps!

3. Emily1220

Emily1220 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Florida
    I believe the dosage for the ivermectin is 3-4 drops on the neck area (get down to skin, not on feathers). Throw away the eggs for 10 days. Then repeat the procedure again. Be sure to throw away the eggs for another 10 days. Good luck. Mites are tough to deal with. Clean the coop really really good and dust it heavy with sevin dust. Put your bedding on top of the sevin.

4. merrydancer

merrydancer Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2007
    Many thanks! I can see I need to buy more stuff. Looks like this is quite a process. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by