Mites keep coming back...

PalomaNova

Songster
5 Years
Jul 4, 2018
Europe
I have a constant mite issue...
We had mites before and I have firstly treated it naturally with soap/oil/water spray and it has helped perfectly. Also did dried tobacco for prevention.
However..
They keep reappearing and it's becoming a bigger issue...
2 months ago we completely pressure sprayed the coop, burnt the bedding, then sprayed with oil/soap again for 3-5 treatments every day. They were gone. Then reappeared again! I then bought DE and sprinkled thinly in the coop. Gone again. This was 3 weeks ago, and remains of DE stayed in the coop ever since. However now I noticed they are coming back again. I "painted" the coop with DE powder 2 days ago but it does not seem to go. I've seen one today on an egg (annoying little...😩)
Another thing is that a broody hen is sitting in there (6 days left) so i cannot do any major actions.

What am I doing wrong that they keep reapearing? So far I only didn't dare to dust de on the chickens themselves... But they free range and take regular dust baths everywhere apart from in their dust bin 😂...

The coop is wooden small chicken house lifted on "legs". I use wood shavings and hay for bedding/nest area.

Back
Top Bottom