1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mites/Lice and Liquid Sevin

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fresheggs4u, Oct 29, 2008.

1. fresheggs4u

fresheggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2007
    I think I have a lice or mite problem. I have noticed a lot of white specks around the heads of my hens and pullets.

Can i use liquid sevin and spray them rather than dusting?

Thanks!

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I would not use Sevin at all if you plan on eating the eggs. Feed them with and dust coop bedding nest boxes with DE. It is totally natural and the mites eat it and die. It will not harm your birds.
    [email protected] email this BYU member as she sells DE and knows alot about it. There are also alot of threads on Byu about using DE for fleas, mites etc.
    There are several types of De and you only want to use Food Grade
    which is usually 1 % silica.

3. Chicken Woman

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
  4. Chicken Woman

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Insect Stop 100% Natural Silicon Dioxide
    (Diatomaceous Earth)
    At long last a safe, harmless and very effective insecticide that eliminates insects is available. No longer is it necessary to use toxic poisons to control these pests. The use of INSECT STOP kills insects physically and is non-chemical.

* * INSECTS CANNOT BUILD UP A TOLERANCE OR RESISTANCE TO IT.

**INSECT STOP REMAINS ACTIVE FOREVER.** (unless it is washed away or cleaned up)

INSECT STOP is a proven insect controller, repellant and killer of earwigs, ants, cockroaches, spiders, beetles, silverfish, bedbugs, fleas and grain insects, to name only a few. It is an all year round insecticide.

What is Diatomaceous Earth? How does it work?

It is a non-toxic, safe substance made up from crushed fossils of freshwater organisms and marine life. Crushed to a fine powder and observed through a microscope, the particles resemble bits of broken glass. Deadly to any insect and completely harmless to animals, fish, fowl or food. Most insects have a waxy outer shell covering their bodies, INSECT STOP scratches through this shell causing the insect to dehydrate leading to eventual death.

INSECT STOP has a list of attractants on its label enabling you to attract a wider range of insects which may not be otherwise attracted to a specific bait already added to prepackaged products. For example, ants desire sweet baits while certain cockroaches tend to be more attracted to starch products. INSECT STOP gives you the choice. However, 90 percent of applications do not require attractants.

As you will see from the label, there is no warning "Keep out of reach of children"! We can safely control insects while protecting the ones we love and our environment tool

Having to choose between toxic chemicals with potential hazards to your health or INSECT STOP which one would you choose?

Available in the following sizes:

200 G
    1 KG
    5 KG
    22.5 KG
    More and more people are putting diatomaceous earth in their animal feed. Ever wonder why?

"I saw a tremendous improvement in the rate of growth of our young horses." - J.H. Quarter Horses, Poseyville, IN

General Review of Diatomaceous Earth

Diatomaceous Earth mode of action for insect and parasite control is strictly mechanical. The microscopically sharp edges contact the insect or parasite, and pierce their protective coating, so they soon dehydrate and die. The larvae is affected in the same way. This makes Diatomaceous Earth an excellent and totally natural control, with no indicating of mechanical or chemical damage to the animal tissue. It can be used as a dust for fleas, lice and other external pests by rubbing into the coat of the animal.

Both internal and external parasite and insect pest control will result in improvement in health, appearance and behaviour, as well as assimilation of feed, which means improved weight gain and lowered feed cost.

Animal Use - Suggested Feeding and Application Rates:

Animal Suggested Rate
    Beef Cattle 1% of total weight of dry ration 5% in grain
    Dairy Cattle 1% of total weight of dry ration
    Calves 4 grams in morning milk per calf
    Chickens 5% in feed, use at full strength in dusting boxes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by