Mites? Lice? Feather pickers? Help for RIR!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thehainline5, Aug 4, 2013.

1. thehainline5

thehainline5 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2013
    I have 3 hens in the same coop. Two Dom's and one RIR. The RIR has what i thought was molt but I've noticed it isn't spreading and her skin is red where the missing feathers are. I put sand in their coop for dust baths and they very regularly free range in our back yard so she takes dust baths often. I have checked her over several times and havent noticed any mites or bugs. The two Doms don't have any feather loss at all! Could it be she is being picked on? What do i do about that? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have a hen or teo with missing neck or beard feathers and it usually is a feather picker. Many times the picked on one is low in the pecking order. EXtra protein, extra room, and things to interest them, especially free ranging helps. BluKote is good to mask the red areas.

3. thehainline5

Jul 27, 2013
    Thank you! She is the biggest and usually bosses the others around. Which is why I was thinking molt at first. I dusted her with mite powder yesterday just to be sure. Im working on making them a ladder to get in and out of their coop as they please. We have to keep their coop fenced off so our dogs dont get in there and eat their food and treats.

4. prinellie9542

prinellie9542 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2012
    Iowa
    Oh wow! I have the same problem! My barred rock and black australorp have had bare butts since March!! My RIR has patches that are missing! The only one that isn't missing feathers is my Red Star! So, I'm pretty sure that this is not a bug problem. So is the Red Star the 'picker'??? She seems like the most mild mannered one! And she is my best egglayer. My friend has all Red Stars and none of hers are missing feathers. I am tempted to get rid of a couple and get more Red Stars. If anyone has any other suggestions - please let me know. Thanks :)

5. thehainline5

Jul 27, 2013
    I had a red star. She was awesome!!! Then one morning found her dead in he coop :( spoke with a lady today and she said put olive oil on her neck...... Dunno why though but I figure it can't hurt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by