Mites, lice? First time.(PICTURES)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ProdigyMCluckin, Jan 26, 2014.

1. ProdigyMCluckin

ProdigyMCluckin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2014
    Houston Pasadena Texas
    [​IMG]

2. ProdigyMCluckin

Jan 10, 2014
    Houston Pasadena Texas
    Peach has had this for over a year an I thought they were just dirty feathers. I was cutting them off as I noticed they were moving. None of my other 5 hens have this.

3. ProdigyMCluckin

Jan 10, 2014
    Houston Pasadena Texas
    How do I get rid of them?

4. ProdigyMCluckin

Jan 10, 2014
    Houston Pasadena Texas
    [​IMG]

5. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Hi,
    I would first separate this hen from the others. Clean the coop well bedding and all.
    It may also be fleas. I would clean the hen well. IMO it's ok to bring her indoors and clean her with soap/water mixture. Don't mix her with the others till your certain it's gone.
    Good luck

Andrea-

6. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Hard to tell with the photos. But the missing feathers is a sign it's something. If your in a warm climate then wash her outside. I would be using gloves while handling her.

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I wouldn't wash her, just dust her with Permethrin powder and treat your roosts and nests with the same powder. Washing her will not remove mites nor kill them.

8. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Purchase a commercial poultry parasite treatment. There are a number to choose from, such as Permectrin, Ravap or Rabon. You can find them at any farm supply store or purchase online.

I found this online

9. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Discard old food and water. Wash all dishes in a mild mixture of vinegar and water. Rinse well, refill and place well, refill and place back into the coop.

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Those look like mites. I agree with Beekissed on not bathing. I have used 5% Sevin dust successfully, and sprayed with Permethrin after completely cleaning out the coop and nest boxes. Here are 2 excellent links that have good pictures to show you what to look for :
    http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8162.pdf
    htmlhttp://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by