mites, lice or flea? unknown bug

soufiane

Chirping
Nov 30, 2020
hello i have one hen, a rooster and 4 chicks. these past 3 days ago i was feeling itching on my neck and face. and today i found a small bug that was causing it moving on my hand i asked my brother and he confirms that he has it too . then i found that the same bug in my chicken feeder moving. this bug is small can only be seen if you shove your face in it. and i dont know what it is. its not jumping, none of us saw it jump just moving like a cockroach. it is a round bug with a color ranging from black to brown. does someone knows what iam dealing with ?

Possibly mites. If you do have them you will need to treat your coop and birds. There are a lot of threads on treating for pests. I use permethrin and have had good luck with it. It can be purchased in most farm stores such as TSC. You can get the concentrate and mix it yourself or can get the premixed spray. It takes at least 3 or 4 weekly treatments. It doesn't kill the mites eggs so repeat treatments are necessary to kill the mites when they hatch. No need to keep the birds out of their coop. Let it dry and then let the birds back in. I also use poultry dust in the nest boxes. Also some mites only come out at night and feed on the birds. I use a headlamp and go out to the coops after the birds have gone to roost and then I have both hands free to inspect the birds. I also take some paper towels out and rub on and under the roost and if there are mites they usually leave streaks on the paper towel. There is no egg withdrawal period so the eggs are safe to eat. Good luck...
Permethrin10ConcentrateMix.jpg

Attachments

• PermethrinSprayR.jpg
    PermethrinSprayR.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 0
  • PoultryDust.jpg
    PoultryDust.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1
  • MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Permethrin10Concentrate.jpg