1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Mites/Lice OR Picking???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rctcinnv, Jul 28, 2014.

1. rctcinnv

rctcinnv Hatching

Nov 14, 2010
    My girls molted several months ago, the Black Austrolopes seemed like they were taking much longer to get feathers back, then I became concerned, did some reading on this forum and decided I must have a mite/lice problem. After dusting them twice, and the coops, things are getting worse!! I guess the simplest questions i have that I think could help are "with a mite/lice infestation does it make sense that one breed would be affected and not the other in the same enclosure?" and "with a mite/lice problem, do the feathers come off at skin level or can they break off half way down"? The previously unaffected birds are now losing the top half of feathers mostly at the tailhead area. Picking???? I so appreciate any help anyone can give….I have had chickens for many years and this is a first for me…. TIA

[​IMG]

2. 273816

273816 Chirping

Apr 10, 2014
    Australia
    Have you tried finding other threads like this? That might be of some help. Unfortunately, I can't help you but I will keep an eye out for any helpful information.

Best of luck,
    Rachel. [​IMG]

3. EggresiveAli

EggresiveAli Chirping

Sep 3, 2013
    Scotland
    I personally think that's feather picking, but I would dust all the chickens down with some Lice/Mite powder and check for mites in the coop anyway.

4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by