Mites? Lice? or What? Help!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Diamante, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Diamante

Diamante Songster

Mar 14, 2009
    Southwest, Ohio
    Our chickens have some sort of mite or something on them. We tend to get one on us everytime we hold them for a few minutes. They are small grey, ive also seen a couple tan ones, long, skinny and flat. You cant hardly tell where the head is on the body. If you have any idea what they are how do i treat for them? The fastest cheapest way of treating is prefered. Thanks

2. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

Could they be fleas? Either way, you need to treat them with louse/sevin dust.

It's really easy to do. Make sure you do it OUTSIDE and away from their food and water. I find if you have an available dust bath for your chickens, it reduces the likelihood of parasites.

3. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Songster

Feb 18, 2010
    I would treat with Sevin dust. I do it once in a while as a prevention. I sprinkle it on each bird and make sure I rub it in to the base of the feather. When I clean ou the coop,
    I sprinkle a little around. I put a little in the nest boxes before I put in the hay on top.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

6. Diamante

Diamante Songster

Mar 14, 2009
    Southwest, Ohio
    By looking at the one site, its some sort of lice. Thanks for you help. Oh and yeah deff not a flea, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by