Mites/lice/sevin

horsechick

Songster
12 Years
Nov 14, 2007
Eaton, Ohio
Hi all,
I bought a bird from a good breeder at the Ohio nationals, well, it has something, I think lice maybe from the photos people have posted in other threads,(the look of the eggs on shaft).
So he has been seperated from everything else I have all this time. We clean his cage and I put sevin all over him and in his bedding. It just doesn't seem to be doing what I would think it should.

I read about putting him in a garbage bag, head out, and adding sevin and moving him around to coat everything.

Any other suggestions?

After doing this for a couple days and every week for a couple weeks, should I bath him?

I know he is tired of being all alone but I keep him on a completely different area so he is not remotely around anyone else. lol.

In turn I can't use him for the intended purpose of what I bought him for. I let the breeder know so he could check his birds at home. He said they are probably mites and he was sorry about that....

Me personally I would check birds before sale and not let them go anywhere if anything wrong with but that's me guess.

So I'm hoping for some help help with this. Can I get kitten wormer and give to him?

I've already lost 2 months time with him now.

Thanks for any helpful suggestions,
REALLY appreciate it!
Take care,
Angela

Once you kill the mites/lice, you treat again in a week to kill the emerging hatchers. You could treat them again in a third week in case you missed something, and clean the cage/coop he's in each time, dust with DE or Sevin. The empty egg clusters are NOT going to disappear from the shaft until he moults. Check for live lice/mites at night when they are most active. If I understand how you've treated, they should all be dead by now.

I usually go in the coop at night and use a parmesan cheese shaker and just shake and ruffle the feathers. Then I go in and shower, LOL. I would also worm her. It's unreal the way some people sell chickens at a "show" who have some bugs or illness.

I am in the processes of treating mine for lice/mites. I used a product for poultry with permethrin in it also sprayed the coop with a permethrin concentrate and used iver-on wormer. I have done all this for the last 2 Sunday evenings. I like to dust at night because I think the powder will stay on longer, they won't shake off until the morning..I have my husband hold the chicken while I dust especially near vent and under wings wherever its warm..I'm going to get some sevin today and put it their dusting area..I don't see anymore live bugs so hopefully it worked, I'll probably just dust for a couple more weeks..Jeffers livestock has got poultry products just ask to speak to JR he sure helped me..

I was at Columbus too. They didn't have any Sussex for sale and I didn't really see too much there that I wanted to deal with the whole Quarentine process for. I quess what is in the sales pens are the breeders culls and therefore aren't in the show prep routine. I got the sense that it was definately Buyer Beware. Have you ever bought a nice calm horse at auction only to have the drugs wear off at home resulting in a crazy in your barn? That was the feeling I got there! At least it is just bugs that can be killed and not something awful. Columbus was in Nov so you should have killed every buggy he has by now! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom