Mites? Lice?

Mk.mom.13

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 7, 2018
So I’ve recently found some clear,white, extremely pale yellowish bugs crawling on my chickens (under feathers) and I don’t think know if I can rub DE directly in the chickens or how that works exactly...still need here lol. They aren’t losing feathers or anything and they don’t seem bothered by them but I want to get this under control before it gets out of hand. They’re almost a year now and I check frequently but I’ve never had any issues until now. I also have a few “chicks” (about 3-4 months) in with them, can I treat them the same as the older chickens? Also I’ve heard about apple cider vinegar in the water but I’m not sure how much to add in, how effective it is, etc

Last edited:
I use Sevin 5 plant dust to rid out lice and mites on my chickens. Not sure if this effects egg usage or not. It is safe to use on day old chicks on up. On nest boxes, floors, perches, and directly on the birds. Mine are fancy breeds and their eggs are not used for human consumption.

DE is about useless, and vinegar belongs in the kitchen.
Permethrin dust or spray concentrate will kill these critters, and it needs to be done ASAP. It sounds like they have lice, not nice at all.
There's no egg withdrawal with permethrin, and carbaryl is not approved for use on chickens in the USA.
Wear a N95 dust mask, and spray the birds and their coop, and repeat at least once more at ten days or so. Or, repeat weekly for three applications.
Mites and lice come in from wild birds, and can't be avoided if you free range, or have wild birds entering your coop or run.
Mary

DE is about useless, and vinegar belongs in the kitchen.
Permethrin dust or spray concentrate will kill these critters, and it needs to be done ASAP. It sounds like they have lice, not nice at all.
There's no egg withdrawal with permethrin, and carbaryl is not approved for use on chickens in the USA.
Wear a N95 dust mask, and spray the birds and their coop, and repeat at least once more at ten days or so. Or, repeat weekly for three applications.
Mites and lice come in from wild birds, and can't be avoided if you free range, or have wild birds entering your coop or run.
Mary
I agree with Mary. I also put the dust in the nest boxes. Spray the coop inside thoroughly because it does not kill the pest eggs so repeated spraying is necessary.
If you have a TSC they carry the permethrin powder, premixed spray bottles and the concentrate.

Not knowing where you live, if it's too cold out you can dust the birds. Wear appropriate clothing and make sure you get it under the wings well. Make them look like a powdered doughnut if you dust them. I had a severe infestation in the past. Permethrin works well. No more bugs.

a big bag 20kg / 50lbs of agricultural lime will cost about $7 or something like that, almost any cheap lime, it's a bit like flour and you throw it all over the coop and it kills lots of small critters you don't like, and it is so cheap and effective. It's limestone, crushed to a powder.

Perches for roosting are important too, you can use smooth metal or plastic instead of wood and it's harder for the bugs to hide in. You can make a platform out of the roosts and suspend it from the ceiling by fencing wire. This makes it very hard for bugz to go back and forth to work every night from their daytime hiding places on the ground.

An added benefit during fly season, it also controls the flies. Some cattle ear tags have permethrin to control the flies on cattle.

Back
Top Bottom