Mites? Lice?

Justhatched

Songster
8 Years
May 24, 2011
I discovered a few of our chickens had mites a while back. I went and got a big ol bag of DE and have been using it in their coops since then. One Silkie seemed to been infested with it the most. I checked 3 out of the 4 Silkies I have. One of them was our Splash Silkie. He was the one that had them the worst. So the two others looked clean. When I got to "Splash" I discovered something new. I discovered a white looking build up on the bottom part of his feathers closest to his vent. That is where I check to find mites. When I saw this I kinda freaked out. Without a picture what do you think it could be? Is it possible to have on bird have it and not the others? Is it treatable? How would I treat it? I am trying to rehome these guys. I can't give anyone a bird with problems. http://ucanr.org/freepubs/docs/8162.pdf I went to this website. I hope the link works. On the second page there are pictures. The picture on the right looks almost exactly what I saw.
hide.gif

Thanks.

I was going to guess clumps of lice eggs by your description, although it looks like you figured it out by looking at the pictures.

If you want to use DE for an active case of external parasites, you need to put the DE directly on the birds. It needs to be put on thickly and go right down to the skin, where the mites, lice or eggs are located. The DE uses a mechanical action to smother and desiccate the parasites and their eggs.

As chickens mature and learn, they should start dust bathing more frequently and regularly, to smother the parasites when they only pick up an occasional parasite. Until then, you need to help them.

If you want to use an insecticidal powder, you don't need to put it on so thickly. The powder is just the carrier for the chemical pesticide. You should still get it down through the feathers to where the parasites are, though. I think you can also trim lice clumps out of the feathers with a scissors.

For birds you're trying to rehome, a chemical pesticide is the fastest and surest way to treat them. Sevin is most popular. There will be residue in the eggs of any hens that are treated for about a month after treatment, I think. I'd have to look at the studies that have been done again.

Last edited:
Quote:
I was thinking lice or louse but wanted to be sure. The infested one is a rooster so no eggs. Do you suggest I treat all the birds or just the one(s) infected?

Personal opinion.. Treat them ALL with Sevin. Put the dust in a pillow case, stick your chicken in it with it's head out...then manipulate the dust all over the chicken. You also need to clean the entire coop out and treat IT with Sevin. I've heard some worried about the little buggers in the cracks and crevices of the coop - If I were you, I'd use liquid Sevin in the coop to thoroughly coat it and that will take care of cracks and crevices. Of course, let it dry before putting new bedding and your chickens back in! You also need to repeat the whole thing again in 10 days to take care of any eggs that hatch between now and then.

BLECKKK.. I hate lice!

Quote:
Oh, as for the egg withholding...I didn't know there was one with Sevin - so you'll definitely need to look that up!

Quote:
Oh, as for the egg withholding...I didn't know there was one with Sevin - so you'll definitely need to look that up!

There is no egg withholding with Sevin. Sevin is completely safe, even for hens with chicks. If you have an infestation, the surest, easiest treatment is Adams Flea and Tick Dip. Mix it like the directions say and dip EVERY bird up to it`s "chin". No need to treat again in 10 days as with most treatments and no egg witholding. Mix more and spray EVERYTHING.........Pop

Quote:

There is no egg withholding with Sevin. Sevin is completely safe, even for hens with chicks. If you have an infestation, the surest, easiest treatment is Adams Flea and Tick Dip. Mix it like the directions say and dip EVERY bird up to it`s "chin". No need to treat again in 10 days as with most treatments and no egg witholding. Mix more and spray EVERYTHING.........Pop

Pop...where's the best place to buy Adams Flea and Tick Dip??

Quote:

Pop...where's the best place to buy Adams Flea and Tick Dip??

Oh, and what about the lice eggs? Does the dip kill those too?? (thus the lack of need for a re-dip)

Most larger pet stores will carry Adams products. I`ve seen them in TSC and even Walmart, but not in all their stores. The recommended Adams dip, being a dog dip, can be smelled for around a month. It`s not an objectional smell, but it is present. Lice/mite eggs typically hatch in 10 day cycles. If you can smell Adams for a month, your dip action is nearly that long and will kill the hatchlings. Highly recommended for infestations. Adams contains Permethrin, which can be obtained under various lables, if Adams cannot be located in your area. Either will work wonders for infestations........Pop

Back
Top Bottom