Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by joe17, Oct 26, 2011.

1. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    I think one of my pullets has mites on her face. It looks like dry skin. I have heard you can give them ivermectin. Do you just put it on the back of their necks? Do I need to re apply? What does it kill?
  2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Are you sure it's not just dry skin, or more probably some keratin sheaths from feather regrowth? Chickens can't groom the sheaths off on their faces easily, so if they have any new feather growth on the face the sheaths hang on for a longer time than on the rest of the body.
  3. joe17

Nov 25, 2009
    Quote:That could be it!!! I was so worried about her though. She lost her beard and it is now re growing so it is extra dry. I out some Vaseline on it with a q tip. I dusted her too.
  4. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    You can spray a little bit of poultry protector and that will kill any mites or lice on them.
  5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Are you treating your birds regularly to prevent an infestation of lice/mites? My birds get treated regularly with either Ivemectin Pour On, or Permethrin 10% spray. I rotate between. Ivermectin dosage for Silkies is .25cc on the skin on the base of their neck, I use a bit more than that though. I've been told it lasts about 6 weeks.
  6. joe17

Nov 25, 2009
    Quote:What percentage of ivermectin pour on do you use?
  7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

8. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    I had the same issue with some new silkies. I still had them in quarantine and when I picked them up at night to look at them, I could see bugs crawling on them, especially on the neck of showgirls. I put 3-5 drops (depending on if they were smaller or bigger) of the pour on Ivermectin from TSC near the bottom of the back of their necks, and dusted the floor of the pen with Sevin. It took care of the problem quickly.
    Repeated in 10-12 days. Haven't seen a bug since the first treatment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by