1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mites...Maybe? First time w/chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LaurasLorps, Oct 23, 2011.

1. LaurasLorps

LaurasLorps Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    I was cleaning out my coop today and noticed some small black bugs about the size of a pin tip along some spots of the coop walls. They had very round bodies kind of like a tic, but like I said, very small. Could these be mites? None of my girls have been scratching excessively. They dust bathe regularly and I looked around the vent of one of them and didn't see any bugs.

Could I have mites and my birds just haven't been infected yet? Is it better to treat right away like it is mites, or wait until symptoms develop? If I do treat it now, should I just dust the coop, or dust my birds too?

Thanks!

2. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    Yes it sounds like it could be mites. I would do a dusting of both the coops (especially the nest boxes, and roosts if they are wooden) an the birds. Check your birds around their abdomen - you might see mites, you might see some swollen red skin. No need to worry, it's a simple management problem that you can learn to overcome. Just treat them periodically and you should be fine. The permethrin dust for poultry works okay but if you ever have a bad infection of them sevin dust works very fast and kills them all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by