mites mites mites on my broody hen help!!!!1

chickhatch

Chirping
Jul 22, 2022
hi, I have had a mite problem and I think I have an idea, although I don't want to take the eggs of my broody hen I think it might be for the best. I have moved my broody hen to her own inclosure and she brang mites from the communal nesting box with her (I have now completely cleaned the communal one) the eggs I believe are on about day15 although 2 look a little less developed. the mite appear to be everywhere, so I suppose I want to know whether my idea will work or not. I was thinking because I have 2 other broody hens 1 of which is extremely keen I was thinking of taking the eggs making sure there were no mites on them and letting the other mite-free hen hatch the eggs. Whether this would work or not I do not know all I know is that if these eggs hatch and the chicks have to be with a mite-infested mother I'm not going to know what to do. although it is sad to think of robbing this mother hen of the experience is it for the best??

hi, I have had a mite problem and I think I have an idea, although I don't want to take the eggs of my broody hen I think it might be for the best. I have moved my broody hen to her own inclosure and she brang mites from the communal nesting box with her (I have now completely cleaned the communal one) the eggs I believe are on about day15 although 2 look a little less developed. the mite appear to be everywhere, so I suppose I want to know whether my idea will work or not. I was thinking because I have 2 other broody hens 1 of which is extremely keen I was thinking of taking the eggs making sure there were no mites on them and letting the other mite-free hen hatch the eggs. Whether this would work or not I do not know all I know is that if these eggs hatch and the chicks have to be with a mite-infested mother I'm not going to know what to do. although it is sad to think of robbing this mother hen of the experience is it for the best??
That would work, but chances are all of your chickens have mites, unfortunately. You will have to treat them all plus the coop and run. I'd treat mama and put her back on the eggs and then treat everyone else and clean the coop.

That would work, but chances are all of your chickens have mites, unfortunately. You will have to treat them all plus the coop and run. I'd treat mama and put her back on the eggs and then treat everyone else and clean the coop.
I have pestene and have just ordered ivermectin I have treated all the other hens with pestene powder swell as the hen I was thinking of putting th eggs under as a procaution. the caution on the pestene website and more posts I have read say that it is not safe for baby chicks to inhale and not to use it near them. I was thinking of letting my momma hen hatch the eggs and the ivermectin should be her by then I should then be able to treat the chicks or the mother if the chicks don't hatch before it arrives.

I have pestene and have just ordered ivermectin I have treated all the other hens with pestene powder swell as the hen I was thinking of putting th eggs under as a procaution. the caution on the pestene website and more posts I have read say that it is not safe for baby chicks to inhale and not to use it near them. I was thinking of letting my momma hen hatch the eggs and the ivermectin should be her by then I should then be able to treat the chicks or the mother if the chicks don't hatch before it arrives.
You could do Ivermectin on mom, and the mites would be gone by the time the babies hatch, yes?

Back
Top Bottom