1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mites.....mites......MITES!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MommaOrp, Jun 12, 2011.

1. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    Does anyone know what i can get in the U.K for mites and lice that i can use to rid coop AND birds of them??

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  3. Chickangel79

Chickangel79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    United Kingdom Suffolk
    Hi I have just ordered Ivermectin 1% from oneclickpets.co.UK as a vet wanted me to bring a chicken in at a cost of £20 before prescribing. So just ordered online instead. Also bought DE from ebay, so far the de has arrived and is doing a great job on lice. The ivermectin should work on mites but mine hasn't arrived yet ! I have used barrier lice and red mite powder but it didn't work for us.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  4. MommaOrp

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    how do i use the DE efficiently for best results? is it ok for the little ones as well and what about human contact??

5. MommaOrp

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    forgot to say, thanks so much for replying [​IMG]

6. Chickangel79

Jun 16, 2010
    United Kingdom Suffolk
    I used an old barrier lice power tub for spreading like a salt shaker, and liberally dusted the bare, cleaned and disinfected (VirkonS :ebay) and then over all the clean bedding and in dust baths. If you have mites you will need to get it into all cracks and crevices of the coop as that's where they hide. I did dust my badly affected frizzles vent too as she was the worst, I can't see anything on her now and I dusted her two days ago. Someone may have better advice but that's what's I have done and I hope it helps x

I don't know about little ones, there is a thread on here about the same thing. It is ok for human contact. Make sure you have FOOD GRADE de too.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  7. MommaOrp

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    Ok i'm going to get hold of some and have a big whip round, thanks hun, your a gem [​IMG]

8. Chickangel79

Jun 16, 2010
    United Kingdom Suffolk
    You are welcome [​IMG] don't forget a dust mask if you are in an enclosed space. You don't want too much but you need enough. A couple of mine sneezed for a hour or so but were ok after. All the doors and windows were open. I bought 1 kg mostly due to postage, and used about 300g in total Good luck !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by