Mites, molting, pecking??? Pics of my chicken.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by henrysue, Aug 18, 2008.

1. henrysue

henrysue Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2008
    Central Washington
    My hen's tail recently began taking on a frazzled look. I've looked at it a couple times, but I don't see any insects. I see my hens occasionally picking feathers off each other, but nothing that looks like pecking at this one. Moulting? She's only 5 months old.

When I look close, I see bare skin, feathers that have been broken off, and what could possibly be a sore that is healing. There are also what I think are new feathers.

Because I have no experience with chickens, do the following pictures give you any clues as to what might be happening? I tried to get close up pictures of her skin but she would have none of that.

All my other chickens have beautiful full feathers. This chicken has also always been the slow, smallest chicken. She's not so slow now, but still quite a bit smaller than the other RIR.

Thanks for your help!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Do you have a rooster?

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Is she maybe the bottom of the pecking order. My shy hen gets her tail pecked at a lot if she wasn't a fast runner she would prob have ruffled looking feathers too. Poor girl [​IMG] Hope she is ok and that's all it is.

4. henrysue

henrysue Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2008
    Central Washington
    No rooster - forgot to mention that.

5. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Even without a rooster present the dominant hen will tread the other hens and cause damage like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by